Space Rangers 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Graphics draw when I move the window, remain frozen otherwise.

I've recently purchased the complete Space Rangers 2 Reboot with the expansion and decided, rather optimistically, to give it another go in CXG. Of course, the old problem of the grpahics not drawing still persists. But now I don't have to drag the window off screen or drag another windo in front of it to get the graphics to update. Now all I have to do is move the window and the graphics will draw normally. Just a pixel or two back and forth and, as long as I keep moving it, the game works just fine. What a tease. Perhaps I could figure out a way to write a script that would constantly move the window one pixel back and forth ;)

I really wish I could play this game in CXG. I'm surprised more people aren't interested in this one. It's such a great game.

Are there any dll's that I might try overriding? I don't really know where to start. Would that have any effect on the problem?

Does this game have the ability to switch among different renderers? For example, a software renderer vs. an OpenGL renderer vs. a Direct3D renderer? Or perhaps DirectDraw vs. Direct3D? Double-buffering vs. single-buffering? If so, you should try the various options.

The symptom you're describing can have a couple of causes (that we know of). One is that the game first creates a 3D-accelerated drawing context for the window, but decides not to use it, perhaps because of missing 3D features of the GPU/driver/Wine. It tries to do conventional drawing to the window, but the mere existence of the previously-created 3D context prevents the conventional drawing from working. The solution would be to tell it to not even try the accelerated context, at all.

Another is that the game fails to flush its drawing, or fails to swap the back buffer to the front, or tries to render directly to the front buffer (single-buffering).

There is no way that I know of to switch renderers. I do know that, while most of the game is purely 2D, the RTS portions are 3D, so perhaps the engine is doing what you described above. Unfortunately, I know no way to get around this problem.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM0t5eDg2a01reU50R2JiNSIsImdkcHIiOjB9