S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Runs and looks good, but mouselook limited to 90 degrees in any direction (CXG Mac, 7.2)

I've installed the game, patched it up to 1.5.07, and removed the copy protection. At first, the game launched fine, but the cursor was stuck in the middle of the screen. Moving the mouse would move the cursor an inch or so, but it would instantly snap back to the center. Obviously, no good. So, following one of the tips posted here, I added an override for dinput.dll. This actually caused the game to hang at the initial splash screen. I then swapped dinput.dll for dinput8.dll, the game loaded just fine, and the cursor was now moving freely with the mouse. Problem solved, or so I thought.

My next problem came after starting a new game; once I gained control over the character, I noticed that, using the mouse, I could only move my point of view 90 degrees in any direction. I could still use the arrow keys to gain full 360 degree motion, but the mouse was locked into 90 degrees. At the moment, I have no solution for this.

Other than this problem, the game appears to run well and it looks great, aside from not getting to use some of the higher-end graphical goodies like FSAA and dynamic lighting. This is on an early 2008 Macbook Pro, with 4 GB RAM, 512 MB VRAM, and a 2.5 GHz C2D, running 10.5.6.

Hey. From the beginning I've been using the dxd9 and dinput overrides on xrengine.

What do you mean hang? Are you using the start bin/xrengine thing in a .bat or .cmd file? I'd like to help you troubleshoot this but I can't get mine to even load. If I run xrengine straight it will give me that fsgame error after popping up the little Stalker image in the center of the screen. If running from start.cmd it just gives that loading bar and never does anything else.

Why would I use a bat or cmd file to run the game? I'm just launching the shortcut created in the Crossover apps menu.

Actually, if I try to launch the xrengine.exe directly, I get the error you describe. Using the Crossover shortcut works, though.

On PC if you use a fixed exe from RELOADED or someone it will give you the FSGAME.ltx error and the way you get around it is writing thee .bat or .cmd file with that line in it and running it from there.
Just a couple questions. Did you copy yours over from a PC install? Also did you do anything special to the shortcut, or did you just click run command, then save to programs folder? I'm using 7.1, and am hoping this is something that was somehow fixed through it, but I'm not sure. I'm running the shortcut created in the crossover apps folder and still getting the fsgame error, so I'm hoping you did something else that I didn't think of.

I didn't do anything other than launch the Crossover shortcut that was automatically created by Crossover after I installed the game. I can't figure out what the shortcut is using to launch the game, but it's not xrengine.exe. Other than the override for the dinput8.dll, I've done nothing to the game.

Did you install it directly from the CD onto your mac or did you put it on an xp/vista partition then copy it over to the bottle?

I installed it directly from DVD via Crossover; that's why I didn't have to create a shortcut myself.

It must be something they changed in 7.1 to 7.2 because in 7.1 everyone I've heard from has their mac freeze up after the first or second time they hit next on the installation program. Man it would be nice to get this thing to actually work :-/

Why not upgrade to 7.2. Sounds like only a simple input driver issue is keeping it from being fully functional, and you could always play it with the keyboard only. . . Nah!

I'm using the CX 7.1 and they work a bit slower than the CXG team. I don't have the money to buy another license of crossover so I am looking for a way to do this with 7.1

I'm gonna try the demo for cxg and see if I can get it to work.

Alright so I've gotten it to load the exactly how you've said, I get the same issue. It does not run on CX pro/office. It seems they changed something in CXG7.2 that allows you to finally install it directly from the DVD and create an .app to start it. Running directly from the exe doesn't work so the .app is necessary, that's probably why no one can get it to run on regular CX. The reason it is doing the 90 degree horizontal thing as well as the approx 30 deg. vertical is because it's not truly full screen, and does not lock the mouse into the screen. The mouse is able to leave the screen of the game so as soon as it does it is no longer affecting the look angle of the player. There should be some way of binding the mouse to the window so you would have to "command+tab" out of the window to use the mouse again, like you would in windowed mode or full screen on a PC. Going into the graphics tab in the wine config has something like that, so you can emulate a desktop, but that has the same problem. It's not a setting of one the programs CXG can run, it's a setting of CXG. They seem to have fixed this problem in the steam games, I assume you would run into the same issue there, so I'm not entirely sure what to do with this. I'm gonna do some research and find a solution hopefully before the 6 day trial runs out, otherwise I think we just have to hope that a CX staff member catches a look at this.

TEMP WORKAROUND!

Okay, so I've figured out a temporary workaround that is Clear Sky specific. Currently this same problem seems to be prevalent in other games too such as Fallout 3. Remove any overrides for dinput, as it seems to cause the game to not start past the splash screen no matter what, and remove any override for dinput8, as it is allowing the mouse to move free at times that we need it, such as menus and inventories, but limits the view range. In console (press the tilda "~" key) type "input_exclusive_mode 0" this will allow the mouse to move again, just like when you use dinput8. I would suggest for now, binding input_exclusive_mode 0 and 1 (to turn it back on when you want to be able to have a mouse range of motion) to 2 keys you don't use. Seeing as you aren't often in peril when you need to peruse an inventory or select a chat choice, this should work for now, although even after a few minutes in the beginning (which is dialog heavy) it an get aggravating. I'm going to continue to look, although my demo runs out in 5 days.

Good job, Peter. I'll have to reinstall it to test it out, so I'm going to take your word for it at the moment. Please keep it up. I'd love to be able to elevate my rating of this one to silver or even gold.

How did you guys even get this thing to run? Mine just hangs at the little box that pops up when you launch the game. Did you do anything special in the regedit.exe?

Youkai wrote:

How did you guys even get this thing to run? Mine just hangs at the
little box that pops up when you launch the game. Did you do
anything special in the regedit.exe?

Did you read the tips?
You'll need a NoCD exe. We cannot provide links, because it's in the gray zone of the law in most countries.
We cannot link to cracked software.

Greetings,
Yvan

I have already used a nocd. I've read through the tips as well, none of them worked.

Alright, I got it running after messing with different settings. Now my issue is that everything is in black and white. Any ideas?

I'm not sure what might cause that, but my guess would be you might want to update directx9? I was unable to get it to run ever on CX pro 7.1 but installs fine through CXG 7.2

As far as settings I can't remember if I got the black and white thing (I very well may have and just forgot), but I decided to try dxd9_31.dll, 36, and 37 those three and the color worked out alright. at that point the biggest issue was getting the mouse to work, and it looks like basically we may have to wait for an update to the way CX and CXG use X11 and Qwartz to control the windows and locking the mouse within them, while still allowing them to move around in them.

Alright, thanks. I'll give those entries a try.

Okay, I tried that. I still get a black and white screen during gameplay.

Could someone that has this game running with color tell me their exact settings? Such as regedit.exe changes, .dll overrides, or any other modifications that you did in order to get in working...

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps!

I have an 08 MBP, the one before the current one for sale through Apple.

I installed the game through CXG 7.2 directly from the disc. I made no changes to regedit.exe whatsoever, and I don't think you should need to as the issues that arise from the game come from integration between crossover and the OS, I believe. As far as I see, all you will need to do is to get it running with the nocd and then in the winecfg, make sure you add the exe and then modify it with the three dlls I suggested, only thing I can suggest is don't copy them from my post as I'm not entirely sure if that was the right spelling, put in the first letter and then scroll through and you should find them, other than that, I'm kinda lost as to why it isn't working, and since my demo is long since up, I can't run it anymore.

could somebody help me as to where i need to put the dinput8.dll file please.
i was a windows user some years ago, but can not remember for the life of me where i put them then.

thanks...

lewis

Lewis G. Edwards wrote:

could somebody help me as to where i need to put the dinput8.dll
file please.
i was a windows user some years ago, but can not remember for the
life of me where i put them then.

thanks...

lewis

Check 2nd bottom entry here -> http://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=25;msg=61751

1 to 23 of 23

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWEVZaEVnRVJwYThhYnFmWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9