S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Vanilla Game Works Fine... But Mods Do Not

So the (Vanilla / Un-modded ) game runs fine with a steam copy and crossover 11.0.2
But a LONG time ago I became completely disinterested in playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games without mods.

Tested installing L.U.R.K 1.05, next LURK 1.1 and then tried Complete 2009 1.4
All of which I tested on Crossover 11.0.2 and all times the game refuses to launch.

If you've not heard of the LURK Mod I suggest you check it out. IMHO it's better than Complete 2009 Mod
http://www.moddb.com/mods/lurk
http://www.moddb.com/mods/lurk/news/lurk-11-prerelease-major-announcement

It's probably worth noting that I tested the above on both a Vista Bottle and an XP Bottle with a good selection of winetricks / dependancies installed in each bottle.

The only up side is that we can still play these Mod's under bootcamp for the Mac.

8 Core Xeon Mac Pro 2.8ghz
Geforce 8800GT
OS X 10.6.8
Crossover 10.3

Can anyone help me please?? Others have posted about having luck running these mods in crossover but no one has posted tips about how they did it.

I just learned a new trick about using crossover which helped me get a little further with this.
So I went to the wine configuration and set the bottles graphics to emulate a virtual desktop.
This enabled me to at least see the Xray engines bug catcher screen on the crash.

The crash log was as follows.

XR_3DA.exe caused BREAKPOINT in module "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl\bin\xrCore.dll" at 0017:00597CB5

The above error seems to be similar to the one I get when trying to run the other STALKER games in crossover.
Un-modded Shadow Of Chernobyl works fine but the other 2 sequels in the STALKER series dont work (Modded or with no mods).

I'd really appreciate help from someone in the know who can point me in the right direction for other things I could try. Are there any dll files I could try replacing? What about certain overrides in the win config?

So my point is, if someone can step in and help out here we could end up solving the issue with STALKER Clear Sky and STALKER Call Of Pripyat in addition to this one.

...I can't speak to your crossover/OS situation, the rest may be pertinent..

• rechecked with cx11 linux, nv9800gt/1024mb/nvidia 295.20 drivers -- game
    itself running really well, better than I've seen it run before on the same
    hardware. In fact, I'd almost give it a gold on this rig...however...

• ... could not get 'L.U.R.K.' mod to run in the Steam release of SoC. Getting
    2009 v1.4.4 mod running was easy as with the .exe installer from moddb. Other
    mods seem to have issues though - there are various 'how to' like guides out
    there on the 'net to aid you with this task, but I couldn't get any of the
    expositions to work with the 2 or 3 mods (other than 2009) that I tired. It
    looks like everything's setup correctly, necessary files edited etc etc, but
    the game either silently fails to start (sometimes briefly displaying a very
    tiny window midscreen before bailing), or else complaining that it could not
    start because the game is already running..(Steam error). It sort of surprises
    me that 2009 works so well, yet other mods don't..

... there's something spooky about the format of the config files themselves ;
I'd be suspicious that the editor one uses to alter those files, may have a
bearing on the outcome ... perhaps using the builtin wine notepad.exe would
be the go (a number of said install guides specify using such)...

.. I just posted a tip&trick about getting the 2009 complete mod installed..

Well I tried your tips and Complete 2009 1.4 works... So a BIG THANK YOU goes your way!

It appears there is a difference between the manual installer on moddb.com and the auto installer.exe. The above tests I did was using the manual installer, I know I installed it correctly as I've installed and played through lots of STALKER mods in bootcamp. I mean its pretty simple really just a matter of copying the Gamedata folder into the game dir and then editing an .itx file in notepad or textedit.

So there must be something different in the auto installer. I don't know what this difference is. Whatever it is, it's what makes the mod work in crossover.

Thanks again

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicHdyOHBSV1c4WGJkeWJ6SCIsImdkcHIiOjB9