S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

No color?

I had played Stalker: shadow of chernobyl awhile ago on 8.1.0 or 8.1.2 with no problems (besides the flickering grass, which is fine). I dropped it for while and now I have tried to play it with 8.1.4 in a vista bottle and 9.0 in an xp bottle and the main menu screen is black and white. When playing the game the entire landscape is black and white except for inside enclosed areas where color suddenly reappears. If anyone knows what I can do to resolve this I would greatly appreciate this.

Hi,

I haven't been able to get the Steam release of SoC running at all under linux for some reason,
but regardless, for anyone to really help you here you'll have to mention what platform/OS you are
using, which videocard (and if applicable videocard drivers)

Cheers!

oh yeah, sorry

iMac
OSx 10.6.4
ATI Radeon x1600

I know my computer is old and weak, but it was working perfectly fine before so I'm baffled why it is doing this now.

Well, since I'm assuming that "a while ago" means before 10.6.4 was released, that may be the issue. You can try going back to one of the earlier versions that worked (although if you're running the game through Steam, it won't work properly prior to CrossOver Games 9). If the problem now affects the earlier version of CrossOver Games, too, then the change must be due to some other factor like the OS. If an earlier version runs the game properly, then you can just use that (although it would be good to report that, so we can enter the regression in our bug tracker).

Right, it was working before 10.6.4 and the steam update, I am running the game through steam so going back to an earlier version of crossover is not possible, which is why I tried it in 8.1.4 in a vista bottle. Do you think there are any other options on this or am I out of luck for the time being.

For getting around Steam's invisibility in CrossOver prior to 9, there are two possibilities. First, as you've tried, is setting the Windows version for the bottle to Vista. Another, would be to get Steam working with CrossOver Games 9, quit CrossOver Games 9, run CrossOver Games 8.1.x, and tell Steam to run the game without needing the Steam GUI.

If you have an entry for the game in your Programs menu, then that should launch it without requiring interaction with the Steam GUI. If you don't, then you should be able to use the Run Command dialog with the command "start steam://run/4500".

The remaining problem is that Steam won't quit after the game exits and, if you can't see Steam's interface, it's not easy to quit it. Just use the Quit Bottle button in the Manage Bottles window.

(All of this is mostly diagnostic. It's not so much a viable way to play the game, but it's to isolate which factor affected the game's behavior.)

okay, I will try that and post what happens

Hmmm....I'll just record this here in case it's somewhat pertinent...

As I say above, I've been unable to get the Steam release of SoC to run at all in linux,
since CXG-8.1.4 (when I originally purchased it) -- this is unchanged wrt CXG-9....

..all my debug traces suggested to me that something was going awry with the app
so named 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ownership check' (included in the steam install as part of
SoC's DRM management). With the release of CXG-9 another of my adv.apps was broken,
and that problem turned out to be that it's DRM mechanism was broken by a wine patch.
The issue with that app was fixed after I bisected it and reported same...

Every time SoC gets a mention here, I tend to recheck it -- I did likewise this time,
(but using the nightly build with the fix for the other app incorporate), and SoC has
started to work ( \o/ ) -- I had to overcome an issue with libopenal which became so
apparent when SoC started to -try- and start (before it wouldn't disclose this problem)
but beyond that I'd say it's running above silver ranking right now...

Matthew is not an advocate and ergo doesn't have access to nightly builds, but in view
of these results (and regardless of the fact he's on Mac and myself on linux), it strikes
me as an obvious line of investigation that trying a nightly build with SoC would be an
interesting experiment to try...

Cheers!

I attempted to run the game in Vista and XP bottles from CXGames 9.0 to 8.0 including all the iterations of 8.0 in between and at the time when it did run there was no color. So it must have been a change when updating snow leopard to 6.1.4 then?

It's either Mac OS X 10.6.4 or a Steam update to the game itself.

Hi, Matthew! I'm running STALKER in an XP bottle on CXG 9.0. I have 10.6.4. Colors are fine on mine. I have a problem with a stuck mouse, but only on the first menu. I had the super-large cursor error in windowed mode, but I switched back to full-screen and we're fine ... but still have stuck mouse on the first menu.

I tried changing the dinputs. I tried changing the mousewarpoverride in the registry. No dice. So because I can't use the cursor, I can't select a game to load on the first menu, but if I start a new game, the mouse works, and I can load a game from the in-game menus.

Btw: how's the mouse for you? Any trouble?

As for the colors: obviously STALKER is okay with CXG 9.0 and OSX 10.6.4, but perhaps it's something to do, not really with the update to steam or OSX, but maybe something to do with how one of the updates reacts with your graphics card. I see you're using an ATI Radeon x1600 while I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT.

I'm not an expert on this, but I'm wondering if there might be a registry fix ...

On another thought: In the game menu, you have the options tab. Have you messed around with any of the graphics settings? Maybe in 'advanced'? (I'm not looking at it right this second, so I can't be more specific), but before worrying about anything registry? Some games give you options for color (like 16 bit or 32 bit or whatever). Have you played around with that at all?

How about the screen resolution? I know that screen resolution has almost nothing to do with color, but on a couple of games, by trial and error, I got games to run more smoothly just by messing with the resolution (CXG can be a little sensitive about screen resolutions, apparently).

Try it out and let me know what happens. I'm not sure I can help you, but I'm more than happy to brainstorm with you.

Yes, I tried messing with all the video options that were available change. The one option that wouldn't change was static lighting but I'm guessing that dynamic lighting would only make matters worse. The driver updates on 10.6.4 are different between the ATI cards and the nvidia cards.... but like I previously said, my computer is going on 5 years old and is pretty weak at this point... I'm kind of holding out for 2010 imac update at this point.

Oh and the mouse issue, I switched to windowed mode and it is no longer a problem. I would maybe give that a try again or try different resolutions, but I never ran into the super large cursor problems

I also get the black and white bug, quite annoying!

I have the ATI,RadeonX1600 as well so maby its something to do with the card?

Out of curiosity, have you run a log?

Go to 'programs', and 'run command'. Select your steam bottle, and then browse to the steam exe (I don't have a STALKER exe for some reason, so I used testapp.exe). Then run Stalker. Sometimes I find problems that way.

Hi,

Well, since I last posted here I have come to own an iMac myself. It's the
newer 11,2 model iMac with Ati HD5670 video chipset + OSX 10.6.4 -- with this
combination, SoC runs fine....

...my guess is it's the x1600 video chipset giving folks grief here, and I already
know that any possible solution (if any) are app specific. Ummm...Robert B had a
fight with the x1600 trying to get GRID to work -- what worked for him was...;

Robert B wrote;

1. Verified that Ken's HKCU-entry was there; it wasn't (though it was there for px.exe), so I created it and tried again ... NO
  2. Copied the OpenAL dll's (verified byte count for correct versions) ... NO
  3. Setup a virtual desktop at 1024x768 with no pixel shader and no vertex ... NO
  4. Added Don's registry additions to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D] ... NO
  5. At this point I tried reenabling pixel shader and vertex ... Lo and behold, Grid actually launched!

citing: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=4582;forum=1;msg=80694

As you can read, even though he discovered some way to get that app running on the x1600,
even at 1024x768 emulated desktop mode he was still having graphics/performance issues.
That may not be so bad with this app, but SoC is fairly graphics heavy none-the-less. All
you can do is try various settings/registry hacks and see if you can find the 'magic potion'
to get SoC to run on the x1600 chipset, but as Robert discovered, even having that magic
at hand isn't always a solution -- the x1600 is not a powerful GPU, and you can't change
that fact. The link on the above page to the direct3d registry keyset is probably still
working, but if not just let me know and I'll hoist it again....good luck!

Cheers!

Sorry Crispy I havent checked back here for a few months! Ive got the Steam verison of STALKER installed now, I'll run a log and let you know how I get on.

Same old iMac X1600 btw :P

I played SoC on crossover Games 9, steam version, Mac Nividia Geforce 9600, OS 10.6.4 or 5. Worked fine except for the mouse problems at first. So sounds like a problem with the graphics card. At least now you can try crossover games 10 but doubt it will help. I'll check mine to see if it works in 10 again just to make sure.

Yeah, still fine for me just for reference.

Well, I just had a weird experience =) ... first up, my linux check was most unsurprising.
On this linux box with PhenomII_x4_840-4gb/nv9800gt-1024mb (256,53 drivers) it was a real
doddle, perhaps working quite better on this rig (the x4_840 is a recent fitment)...(need
faster ram is the footnote to self ;)....

...the Mac was a different escapade altogether -- first up, I've been putting off a lot of
testing on the Mac of late, due to pending updates in the wings (10.6.7 + an Xcode update),
which a number of minutes ago I let roll in. Up and running again, launch Steam ... and it's
like not appearing for some long(er) amount of time than is normal ..?.. next thing I see
is a new pop-up component, informing me that I'm logging in from another machine, and an
email has been sent to give me the code to authorize the iMac access to my Steam account ;
kinky ... so I get all of that done, and Steam suddenly discovers it needs to update itself,
so I let it do that and it immediately crashes restarting ... {sigh} ... restart Steam, and
I'm back at the "Hey! This is a different machine!" business, which I have to do all again...

...eventually, I get around to starting S.o.C itself ... always seems to me like the gamma
is a little low on the 11,2 iMac with HD5670-512mb but otherwise it seems fine, that is,
until in character you walk outside, and start to pan your view about the landscape, and start
observing various parts of the low bushes (close to the ground) flickering and turning into
fire-engine RED bushes instead. Everything else seems to work, there's just all these red bushes
appearing and disappearing all the time .. which obviously shouldn't be doing such. Unless
of course it's some sort of other strange anomaly in The Zone, but I don't think so .. =)

Ergo, all would not seem well here for the Steam release on this iMac here -- trouble is, I'm
going to have a bit of a battle concluding whether it's CX, or the OSX upgrades.. or both...
that are participle to what I would otherwise deem to be a regression ... mmh .. I'll hoist
a wishlist bug on it none-the-less, so it sees some light.... the phantom black menu bar at
bottom of screen is evident here as well with this app/iMac, even after said updates.

Now we really -do- need specific OS/hardware information here, as my testing just now suggests.
Please post back such information if you're having issues with this title...

Cheers!

edit: CXG-10.1.0 in both cases

1 to 19 of 19

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoickdTZVdUY3l0U1hieHM4diIsImdkcHIiOjB9