Star Trek Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Season 4: Crossfire Update

Looks like the Season 4: Crossfire update broke STO with CX Games 10.1. The symptoms of this breakage are a suspiciously slow login screen, and a consistent crash at the "Atari" loading splash screen.

We're working on it. I'll update this thread with news as it develops.

If you're experiencing this issue, please send us a ticket, either via the support page:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/enter/

or with an email to "info@codeweavers.com"

and ask to be added to bug 8534 so we can keep track of who's seeing the issue and can contact you directly when we have further updates.

On David's hint, here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=6730;forum=1;msg=109641

I tried installing MSHTML 7 into the same bottle as STO, but still was not able to overcome the "oops" error on launch. I then (keeping with his line of thinking) added "UseGLSL"="enabled" to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D

in the Start Trek Online bottle. The combination of the MSHTML 7 rendering engine (which brings back the annoying "flicker" in the launcher) and the enabling of the UseGLSL registry key gives me a working install of STO on both my Fedora 15 machine and my Mac OS X 10.6.8. W00t! as it were.

To clarify - you'll find the "Microsoft HTML Rendering Engine 7" in the "Community Supported Applications" section of Crossover Games' Install Software menu. Go ahead and install that into the same bottle as STO.

To apply the registry key, go to Crossover's Run Command menu (which is under "programs", on the Mac), and then select the Star Trek Online bottle and type "regedit" in the command field. In the editor that opens, navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine

add "Direct3D" as a new key under "Wine", and then within "Direct3D" add "UseGLSL" as a string value, modifying the value to "enabled". Close regedit, and try launching STO. The launcher will flicker horribly and annoyingly, but the game should ultimately launch and work. Exiting the game is a bit unstable under this configuration, which we'll be working on for the next "point release" of CX Games.

I can confirm that this reg tweak is needed. It fixed all my systems' bottles.

A fresh install using the Crosstie + MSHTML 7 + this tweak + a Video Card Memory reg tweak == Linux goodness all over again :D

BTW, the Video Memory tweak can be found here:
http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/Wine_Registry#Video_Memory_Size

HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Wine -> Direct3D -> VideoMemorySize

We've now modified the STO Crosstie file to include installations of the MSHTML 7 engine and the "UseGLSL" key on a fresh install. This is a temporary measure while we figure out the best way to get rid of MSHTML 7 and still have STO work.

Things to watch out for:

• the login screen will be very flickery. This is the major downside of using the MSHTML 7 engine, and why we want to be rid of it.

• On your first run of the login/patcher window, you'll get a message from the MSHTML 7 engine (which is basically IE7) about sending info over the internet. "Ok" this, and choose to never show the message again.

• When logging into STO after an update, or after an initial install, the "Loading" screen that you'll see after the "Cryptic" and "Atari" logos will take a long time. Sometimes upwards of 10 minutes. Be patient. On subsequent launches it will be faster (until you update again). Working on this is a part of the "getting rid of MSHTML 7" issue.

Hi,

I have been experiencing the crashing at the "Atari" loading splash screen. Generally I keep trying it until the game starts. Then everything seems to run fine. Would love to see that fixed.

Can you add me to the bug 8534 you mentioned?

Thank you

I am trying to install STO, but I keep getting an error when it attempts to install the Microsoft HTML Rendering Engine 7. If I skip the error, it will continue installing STO and all other required components, but the HTML Rendering Engine 7 isn't present in the bottle, and I can't launch STO.

Here's a screenshot of the error:

I attempted to create a new bottle and install just the Microsoft HTML Rendering Engine 7, but I'm getting the same error.

I'm using a brand-new install (just downloaded today) of CrossOver Games (10.1.2). This is the demo version, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I downloaded it to give it a trial run and to try out STO.

Thanks for your help!

Sounds like you could have a corrupt copy of the MSHTML 7 installer and when you run the .tie it's using that corrupt cached copy instead of a new download.

Throw away (your home folder)/Library/Application Support/Crossover Games/installers and then try the .tie again. That'll force it to download a new copy instead of using the cached one.

The demo version makes no difference - it is functionally the same as the "full version", it just has a timer on it.

My first thought would be that your initial download of the MSHTML 7 Engine was corrupted. Crossover stores downloaded components in a cache, so if the download was corrupted the first time, all subsequent attempts to install (from the file in the cache) will be compromised.

To try re-setting, delete the following directory from your Mac:

/<your home directory>/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Installers

If you're using OS X 10.7 (Lion), you'll need to hold down the "option" key while looking at the "Go" menu in Finder to see "Library".

After delting the above directory, go into Crossover's Configure>Manage Bottles menu. Delete your current STO bottle(s), and then start again by select Start Trek Online from the list of Supported Applications, select your inserted STO disc or the file you downloaded from STO's Bit Torrent option, and proceed.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV3JMcDdtSE1OR2EyQVNXUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9