Star Trek Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Latest STO and Launcher engage button missing/can't play - (a fix).

Having just got STO to work under crossover, I figured I should let people know in-case they also suffer the same issues.

Basically the patch button never becomes engage on the launcher screen, though the game does patch (progress rate is shown in the title bar instead of the percentage box.

If you then manually launch the next exe, the game cannot authenticate your username/password when requested with the game servers.

The fix is to install Internet Explorer 7, which fixes the engage button, which in turn sends the authentication through to the servers and lets the game play.

Hope this helps people.

Chief :)

Did you install STO using the Crosstie file, or by selecting Star Trek Online from the list of supported apps in Crossover's install software menu? Or some other method. Crossover should be automatically installing IE7 prior to running the STO install for exactly this reason.

I used my steam backup version, in the past I'd used the crosstie and never saw it install IE7 (and had the same problem as I found the solution to above).

Downside is I just noticed IE7 requires a valid windows licence (something mentioned in its eula, but not in the IE7 descriptive text of crossover) and since I don't have a valid windows licence (or any windows licence) I guess I can't use it.

Chief.

Yeah, the necessity for IE7 is problematic for STO (and a number of other applications). For the long-term we're working on eliminating the need for this package via improvements in our codebase, but in the short term users should be in possession of a windows license in order to stay on the good side of the EULA.

Technically I suppose I have a licence in the form of the windows 8 preview, not sure if that's really what Microsoft intended its trials to be used for though :)

Sorry Jack for the emails I recently sent you about a similar problem. I installed all the missing components and that solved the problem.

I am just wondering and maybe go off-topic, is it possible to implement a "Fix Bottle" option in Crossover? It checks the missing components and reinstalls them after making a backup first, so if it fails you can go back to the old.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoickplN3VaelFydmdXelBRRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9