Star Trek Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Upcoming Arc integration

I am running STO from a Linux Mint 15 Box on my Toshiba Notebook (Satellite L750) and its works quite well that way.

I wonder whether the upcoming Arc integration by PWE will affect the usability of STO through Crossover. Is there development underway to address the issue (it would affect all other PWE and Cryptic games as well)?

Kind regards
XL

That is a good question. I haven't tried Arc as of yet (tempted to). But from a buddy I am speaking to right now on Teamspeak, its rolled out and needed for new installs. I tend to remake bottles for mmo's from time to time, and my STO bottle is from 12/2011. I may need to try this one out ...

OK. Curiousity got the better of me. The TIE works fine still. Got a new bottle up and going. Patching is going to take a bit, but its installed and patching. Guess Cryptic left an old install on their servers for us :P

I have completely forgotten about this topic until today.

Thanks for checking it. So the current situation seems to be stable.
I guess thats mainly caused by the fact that ARC isn't doing anything else, then to launch the original launcher of from Cryptic.

But new clouds are on the horizon as it seems. Just yesterday they announced the new developements for ARC which will include full integration and madatory usage in the near future .... I hate that.
Lets hope the best hat this transition will run smoothly (yes I am hooked on the game and I admit it).

This seems to be a common thing with gaming production houses these days. Even Blizzard has made Battle.Net a common launcher. I guess it's all the pressure from Valve's Steam (er, no pun intended). Battle.Net works fine in CrossOver Linux 12.2.2, by the way. Aeria games has also created a common launcher, so if you're playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, be on the lookout.

Unfortunately you are right. Everyone is setting their respective CDNs to further bind their players and all they succeed to do, is drive them away.

Some other Linux/Mac Users are currently trying to get some support from official side, to get an idea how the bottle would have to be modified to make it continue to run. In the current state Arc doesn't pose a problem, since (like I said) it is only a launcher for the launcher.
Once the old launcher disappears and with it the functionality (for example the commandline additions and so on) then we might most likely end up with a defunct bottle.
Should I get some info on this I will pass it on here.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSmhYc1hCc0VtVkZBYUZjSiIsImdkcHIiOjB9