Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

EDIT: TOR is now working with CrossOver 18.0.0!

Update 20181028:

SW:TOR will now work with CrossOver 18.0.0! Even better news, swtor_fix.exe is finally no longer required! Please do NOT use swtor_fix.exe when playing SW:TOR under CrossOver 18.0.0, as it might adversely affect performance or even will make SW:TOR crash.

Update 20180731:

TOR is currently NOT working with CrossOver version 17.5. The game will start, but you will end up with either one of two scenarios:

1. Using swtor_fix.exe, you will be able to enter the game, but you will experience severe lag (>5s) due to swtor_fix.exe. swtor_fix.exe is a quick hack that was introduced several years ago to be able to play SWTOR through Wine or CrossOver. It hasn't been updated since, and is now virtually useless.
  2. Just starting SWTOR itself will end up in an endless loading screen, since one process is waiting for the other to finish (which swtor_fix.exe originally made possible), but will never get the actual notification. This is due to CrossOver using an older version of Wine, where this fix is not implemented as of yet. Wine staging 3.13 (current version as of the time of this edit) is capable of running SWTOR, and for now should be used, if you want to play SWTOR on a Mac or under Linux.

Update 20180209:

TOR is working again with CrossOver version 17.1 and swtor_fix.exe. swtor_fix.exe is still needed!

ALL HANDS: TOR will not run under the current versions of CrossOver! This is an issue due to BioWare dropping support for XP and Vista which affects CrossOver users as well, no matter what bottle they use. Please be aware of that and be patient until a fix is posted by the Wine team and Codeweavers.

Thank you.

UPDATE 20170909:

The latest CrossOver beta versions will work with TOR. Unfortunately something must have changed in the data structure of TOR, because swtor_fix will NO LONGER work! Swtor_fix is responsible for the 3-5 seconds delay I am experiencing. There seems to be a fix available in one of the latest Wine builds (on which CrossOver is based), but if and when these will be implemented in CrossOver is anyone's guess.

The important bit is: TOR will NOT work under current versions of CrossOver until Codeweavers will incorporate at least Wine Staging 2.13 in the game.

I removed the link to swtor_fix as it is no longer compatible with TOR and is seemingly not supported any longer.

Thanks for making this a sticky. :)

You'll also need to change launcher.settings files and alter the line "bitraider_disable: false" to "bitraider_disable: true" so the game will patch to current.

I cannot find the line in the launchers about "bitmap" false vs true....

its not there for me

I'm pretty sure you DON'T want bit raider to be enabled. I never needed it myself.

mgarrett wrote:

I cannot find the line in the launchers about "bitmap" false vs
true....

its not there for me

You are correct that it is not there till You patch the first time and then you will get an error that says you need Admin Rights. Then you can close the launcher and edit the file and you will see it in there. I have just recently installed this 5 times and can confirm this works this way. It was a little confusing.

Forrest

So I just upgraded to Crossover 16 with a new free trial and had SWTOR already downloaded and installed previously on the version before it. Before it would run fine with no issue at all. After upgrading when I go to load into the game the loading screen doesn't load correctly and once I get into the main menu my graphics continue to try and load the broken loading screen. I have used swtor.fix before launching and it still causes this issue. Any insight would be greatly appreciated so I can get back to playing my favorite game.

It is HIGHLY recommended to keep the last version of Crossover (15.x). The new version 16.0 seems to be completely revamped and has quite some issues in TOR. Wait for updates and then try it again, but keep your 15.x version!

Can you please specify what issues in your post? I have been on 16 with TOR and I have not noticed anything other then my endless loop error that lasts up to 20 minutes. This happened on Version 15 and 16 on 2 out of 3 machines. This happens even with the SWTOR_FIX.exe.

fixme:win:GetWindowPlacement not supported on other process window 0x8003e

Thank you
Forrest

Linux Mint 17.3 and 18
Intel I7 Machines
AMD, Intel and NVIDIA Graphics

How do I get the previous version then? Cause I've already upgraded to 16. Thats when my problems occurred. I've been having graphics issues where the beginning loading screen doesn't show correctly, and when I walk around it seems like the graphics are tearing but when I apply vertical sync it doesn't help. I'm running on a late 2013 Mac with Retina Display and my 2015 iMac and having the same issue on both.

I found a download for the previous version and it works so now I'm just gonna download SWTOR again like I have in the past and then I'll be able to buy it later so that I can keep this working version of crossover :) Thanks for the help everyone!

I tried 16.0 on Manjaro-KDE (linux) and everything works REALLY well on it, I didn't have any problems so far and the performance is good (70-220fps, with ultra/max settings). But for some reason I had horrible connection problems on openSUSE leap 42.2 (kde), on both 15.x and 16.0...it mostly affected the launcher not the game itself (and yes I had the swtor_fix thing)

my system:

inxi -xSCGI 
System:    Host: manjaro-pc Kernel: 4.9.0-0-MANJARO x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 6.2.1)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.4 (Qt 5.7.0) Distro: Manjaro Linux
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-6600K (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 28040
           clock speeds: max: 4400 MHz 1: 4399 MHz 2: 4400 MHz 3: 4399 MHz 4: 4399 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.26 Direct Rendering: Yes
Info:      Processes: 288 Uptime: 2:16 Memory: 4930.4/15991.3MB Init: systemd Gcc sys: 6.2.1
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.51) inxi: 2.3.5

Alexandra do your maps display correctly in game? Mini Map ? Main Map?

Good day,
I know the question was not to me but I thought I would check as well using Ver 16, I am getting no issues with the maps. I have posted the specs for the system I test this on.

System: Host: none Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1)
Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i7-6560U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8831
clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 2200 MHz 2: 2200 MHz 3: 2200 MHz
4: 2199 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 3200x1800@59.98hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Iris Graphics 540 (Skylake GT3e)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Info: Processes: 250 Uptime: 4:23 Memory: 4565.0/15894.8MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421) inxi: 2.2.35

Hey guys! Where are you seeing the bitraider, as for some reason, my package isn't showing the launcher.settings.

Also, how do you make Crossover 15 run it, as it's forcing me to upgrade to use Crossover.

User Deleted wrote:

Hey guys! Where are you seeing the bitraider, as for some reason,
my package isn't showing the launcher.settings.

Also, how do you make Crossover 15 run it, as it's forcing me to
upgrade to use Crossover.

After you patch you will see it in the directory for SWTOR. It will show it as you see below.

, "log_levels": "INFO,SSNFO,ERROR"
, "bitraider_disable": true
, "DevLogin": ""

Thanks, for some reason, I couldn't find the actual file but I got it now.

Any idea on how to force 15 to load without the upgrade?

SWTOR launcher is now spinning consistently with no end in sight.

User Deleted wrote:

Thanks, for some reason, I couldn't find the actual file but I got
it now.

Any idea on how to force 15 to load without the upgrade?

SWTOR launcher is now spinning consistently with no end in sight.

Did you use the SWTOR_FIX.exe file at the top of this? That patch fixes it. Just run it in this bottle.

Thank you
Forrest

Yury German wrote:

Alexandra do your maps display correctly in game? Mini Map ? Main
Map?

"Alexandra"...yeah thanks -_- ....anyway, I haven't notice any issue with the Mini/Main Map or anything yet and I have been playing for hours. Also it seems swtor should work without doing any extra conf/install to wine if you don't count "swtor_fix.exe" ...at least when using arch [link=https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=27088&iTestingId=95059][/link]

ps. there are some patches that are in wine-staging that would give extra performance boost (or at least more solid fps) ..at least for nvidia users

yay!!! I had now my first problem, swtor froze on Nar Shaddaa at the Lucent Square (lower promenade) ...when I checked my Main Map and hovered my mouse on the quest objective and then I saw some flickering around the map..then it froze. And everytime I tried to relogin to that character I couldn't see anything only blank/black screen + with the UI elements. BUT it seems rebooting my PC fixed it...for some reason

I don't know if this is related but I got this dmesg error 3 times:

[76343.400607] winecfg.exe.so: sending ioctl 5305 to a partition!

I tried to to enable the crash verbose log's but damn it creates gig's of data in a such small period of testing

Unfortunately without the Maps I have to go play it on PlayonMac.

So once I run the fix.exe, the program then says that it's waiting for swtor. But, it never loads. What am I doing wrong?

Yury German wrote:

Unfortunately without the Maps I have to go play it on PlayonMac.

Ok got this working. IF you are having problems with Maps on Mac just unclick "Settings => Performance Enhanced Graphics". The Game works fine afterwords, although depending on the Mac you are running it might be slower. I did not notice any difference on my Graphic Card Accelerated Mac.

Luke H Decker wrote:

So once I run the fix.exe, the program then says that it's waiting
for swtor. But, it never loads. What am I doing wrong?

Ok you got Run Command, start the Fix.exe
Have the window pop up.
Click on the "Star Wars - The Old Republic" icon so you could launch it. Once the fix program sees it running it will stay in background and do its magic.

I have been using the "Performance Enhanced Graphics" option on linux all the time, maybe that's why I didn't have issues (if u don't count that one big one )...I will test this soon...

anyway, it would be nice if you could run the "swtor_fix.exe" and "launcher.exe" at the same time like playonlinux does...(oc launching "swtor_fix.exe" little bit before).

also why doesn't the crossover "installer" download the "swtorfix.exe" automatically? when its needed for this whole thing to work.. at least playonlinux does these two things correctly...everything else ..NO -- ...no.. just no..god no...sigh

Please add to my sticky post:

You need to place swtor_fix.exe in the "Program Files" folder within the "drive_c" folder of the TOR bottle!

Thank you.

So I downloaded TOR and I can get to as far as the menu screen but the launcher won't let me click the play button. Any to fix this problem?

TOR sometimes takes a looooooong time until it starts to patch. That's almost normal behavior. How long have you let it sit there?

So I downloaded TOR and I can get to as far as the menu screen but the launcher won't let me click the play button. Any to fix this problem? Same same same help!!!!!

So I downloaded TOR and I can get to as far as the menu screen but the launcher won't let me click the play button. Any to fix this problem?

Installation of the driver and support components require administrative permission acknowledgement. Try invoking the client again. Installer cannot continue. Exiting.

Help how to fix this?

You're probably logged in to your computer with a regular user account that has no admin privileges. Are you running macOS or Linux? In case of macOS, you need to check "User can manage this computer" under your account in "Users and Groups" (I hope this is the correct translation). Technically this should not be necessary.

This applies to Linux as well. It should not be necessary to run CrossOver as root, as all of your bottles are usually saved in the folder ".cxoffice" under your user folder, thus giving you full permissions to this folder. But you might want to try.

You also might want to check the SW:TOR help website (now under EA) for help, as I think I've seen this as one of the many problems that plague TOR every once in a while.

Good luck!

d

I had problems with launcher on openSUSE, for some reason login and loading took "FOREVER" but after I changed my DNS to googleDNS(or openDNS) everything worked just fine/normally...for some reason I didn't have this issue on other distro like manjaro-kde or ChakraOS
aka I Changed "/etc/resolv.conf" manually:

# Generated by NetworkManager
#search suse
#nameserver 192.168.1.1
#nameserver fe80::3e47:11ff:fe5e:a804%eth0

to this->

#googleDNS
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8888
nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8844

Hello.
I followed your steps to the end. When I run the game it loads correctly but the main menu isn't showing correctly just the background picture and the sounds of the menu tiles as if it worked, but not being able to see it.

Any ideas...? :(

I run it on mac 2015 OS X 10.11.6

Alv

Btw, I am not sure if I have installed the swtor_fix.exe correctly or if I am missing anything.

Have you tried turning off "Performance Enhanced Graphics" in the TOR bottle's settings menu? I'd give that a try.

Alvaro Suarez Garcia wrote:

Btw, I am not sure if I have installed the swtor_fix.exe correctly
or if I am missing anything.

To help everyone I just created a new bottle and did a brand new install writing down step by step what is needed including the great info here on swtor_fix.exe. It is in the "Tips & Tricks" area. Give it a try as I was very detailed in how and where to place things, etc.

i have no clue what any of this means please help

Without repeating the information here is the step by step guide: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/tips/star-wars-the-old-republic/how-to-setup-swtor-step-by-step[link=https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/tips/star-wars-the-old-republic/how-to-setup-swtor-step-by-step][/link]

i have completed this all but i cant find the bitraider false in my launcher settings and swtor wont work it says there is a fatal error
😭

Copy and paste it in the last line - I will modify the doc.

so i just do everything again? what doc do i copy and where do i paste it?

No just stick it by editing the document around line 12/13

Don't worry about the Bitraider setting for now. First, we need some information from you:

1. Type, model and year of your Mac.
  2. Amount of RAM, hard disk capacity and amount of free space on your hard drive.
  3. If known, what type of graphics card and amount of VRAM.
  4. OS X version.
  5. CrossOver version.
  6. A detailed as possible description of the problem your incurring and at what point.

Most importantly, make sure you have a current backup, just in case something goes wrong (not that I think it will, really just in case).

Does it usually Initialize for bloody ages? if not how can i fix it?

Thank you.

Have you followed the instructions in this post?

You need to put swtor_fix.exe in the same bottle as your TOR installation, start TOR, log in, run swtor_fix.exe and THEN press the "Play" button.

there is some great news for SWTOR (mac/linux) gamers; its seems "swtor_fix.exe" isn't soon needed anymore as that has been "fixed" in wine-staging v2.8 and the "old dependencies" on winetricks aren't needed anymore with wine 2.7+ ...BUT...at least for me the v2.7+(-staging) has been really unstable (even more so with CSMT enabled) ...so its not there yet for a 100% pure/stable wine experience

PS. I think this is the patch that "fixed/removed" the need for swtor_fix.exe https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/tree/master/patches/ntdll-User_Shared_Data

Hey Everyone,

I'm kinda new at crossover and have been trying to learn how to play TOR through this software. I've recently have been getting stuck at the launcher phase. I click the swtor.exe file and then the launcher file. Through this, I receive a notification that says "certificate authentication failed, please contact customer support". Because of this, I can't sign in and download the rest of the game. Any ideas in what I should do?

Thanks guys.

KI wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I'm kinda new at crossover and have been trying to learn how to play
TOR through this software. I've recently have been getting stuck at
the launcher phase. I click the swtor.exe file and then the launcher
file. Through this, I receive a notification that says "certificate
authentication failed, please contact customer support". Because of
this, I can't sign in and download the rest of the game. Any ideas
in what I should do?

Thanks guys.

It's a known issue that came up this week: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9378719#edit9378719

There's been a few work arounds posted, but bioware is struggling to find a solution. The issue is due to microsoft dropping xp/vista support. Normally the game works just fine through code weavers.

Try the work arounds on the SWTOR forum thread I linked. Hopefully one of those works for you. I'll be doing the same later this weekend. I kind of gave up after the first few didn't work...

1 to 50 of 70

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWEJQUVVUR2hrd1VndzI1cyIsImdkcHIiOjB9