Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

The Screen is Black but the GUI is visible

tried everything from tips and tricks, but my screen is still black.. thanks for help

MacOS Sierra
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Just making sure of the following:

1. What version of CodeWeavers are you running?
  2. Did you start the swtorfix application as described in "SWTOR Freezes on launch"? Before you start the game?
  3. Did you try turning off performance enhanced graphics?
  1. 15.0.1
  2. yes, without swtorfix I am not able to run the application
  3. what are you talking about? 😀

If you have the Mac version of CrossOver you will see this in the lower left corner of the CrossOver window. There's a plus, a minus, and a sprocket icon. If you click the sprocket icon a dropdown menu will open. There should be a submenu entry called "Settings" or something like it, depending on your system language. In there you can turn off "performance enhanced graphics". I had to do this to get rid off some nasty rendering bugs.

PS: It would help if you could post your system spec's. The black screen indicates, that your system might be at or below minimum spec's for TOR to run properly.
PPS: Dummy me, a HD530 should be sufficient, so you have at least a Skylake CPU, that should be more than sufficient. How much system memory do you have? Or more specific, what Mac do you have.
PPPS: Is your version 16.1? If not, I would update CrossOver. Also, sometimes it takes a long time for the graphics to load, even if the UI is already present. You have to be patient here. I would also set the graphic details as low as possible and work my way up.

First I would recommend updating to 16.1.0 (mac). I had problems with black screen on some earlier versions.

To turn off "performance Enhanced Graphics" (from memory), right click on the Bottle Name (SWTOR, or whatever you named it). Then on settings and you should see a check mark next to "Performanced Enhanced Graphics", just click there to uncheck it. Reboot the bottle (for good measure).

Then try again :)

Hi Guys,
So first I tried to turn off "performance Enhanced Graphics", but it didn't work for me, so I updated to crossover 16.1. and now it's screen black, but I can see silhouettes :)

Andreas: my configuration is

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
2,9 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 460 4096 MB
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

Thank you for solving this with me

some screenshots

http://tinypic.com/r/2mewba9/9

http://tinypic.com/r/v782f7/9

http://tinypic.com/r/qntp50/9

Is this 16.1.0 ? I had problems like this with earlier versions.

yes, 16.1.0

You should have no problems running this in CrossOver with a new MBpro. The AMD 460 should kick in and give you a major graphics boost. Technically you should be able to run this a maximum resolution and maximum (ultra) settings. But this also might lead to problems with TOR, so I'd recommend dialing down the resolution to 1920x1080 to see if this helps with your issue. I'll check my settings and see if I can find out something else that might help you.

Question: Have you set the "High Resolution Mode" in your bottle's settings? If so, you might want to turn that off.

PS: Try hitting "cmd-Enter" during the loading screen or while being in the lobby. This should toggle windowed to full screen mode. This helped me, since TOR doesn't seem to like HiDPI modes. "Fullscreen (windowed)"-mode seems to work best for me.
PPS: Try different resolutions, they seem to make quite a difference in screen gamma. I know, weird.

I tried everything - nothing helps.. :/

look:

http://tinypic.com/r/dgrqc2/9

I am officially giving up..

Thank you for your help :(

Hm... strange. I've played this under CrossOver with an old 2010 iMac and an AMD graphics card, and on a Hackintosh with both the HD530 and a GeForce GTX970. No problems whatsoever. One thing... have you color calibrated your screen? Maybe too dark? But then your interface wouldn't be visible as well. I must say, that I'm stumped here as well. Let me think about this. I'll encourage you to keep on trying. There must be a simple solution to this problem.

BTW: Have you tried an external monitor? I'd like to see if that helps.

I just put in a Step by Step guide in the Tips and Tricks section. I actually installed from start, and wrote down each step, and even when I had some problems, it might help you.

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieHg0NWZ2OUpWQVA1TW5BRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9