Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Not Responding: Stuck at the loading screen

I'm starting to get back into the game and downloaded the latest patches. When I hit play, however, the loading wheel in the loading screen spins for 3 seconds and freezes. When this happens and I open up task manager, it says the game is Not Responding.

From the forums I've guessed that this was a graphics issue. I've turned off Performance Enhanced Graphics, and set the CrossOver VideoMemorySize of my Mac to no avail. I'm launching the game windowed and not full screen as suggested. I've also disabled BitRaider and am using the swtor_fix.exe

I've read online that you can change the resolution of the game through a client_settings.ini file but I can't seem to find it anywhere for the mac.

My CrossOver is running on 13.0.1

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Christopher I wrote a guide here known to work (on a mac) in 16.1.0

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/tips/star-wars-the-old-republic/how-to-setup-swtor-step-by-step

Try following it, if your old bottle does not work after you try to troubleshoot it, you might follow this guide step by step to get it running.

-

Thanks for your response Yury,

I've followed your steps including the trouble shooting section but nothing seems to work still. I've ran the game fine before KotFE so I don't see why it wouldn't work. Any more suggestions?

Are you starting off the swtor_fix, and it is in the same bottle?

When you start, does something come up on the swtor_fix screen?

What problems are you seeing? Can you see any screens once you hit play?

Yury German wrote:

Are you starting off the swtor_fix, and it is in the same bottle?

When you start, does something come up on the swtor_fix screen?

What problems are you seeing? Can you see any screens once you hit
play?

I am starting off with swtor_fix and yes it is in the same bottle. Nothing shows up when I open up the swtor_fix screen.

My issue now is at the loading screen of the game itself. After hitting Play in the launcher the game application loads for about 3 seconds and freezes there. I see the KotET loading screen but the application doesn't respond.

I'm playing on an iMac 21.5-inch 2012 OS X El Capitan fully updated.

So do you see anything in the swtor_fix window (opened using "Run Command"? This should open up a separate window that should state:

"Waiting for swtor ....."

Then when you hit play it will say something else in the screen (Sorry can not get you the correct text now).
Is this happening?

When I use Run Command to open swtor_fix.exe, the buttons on the Run Command window are greyed out. No separate window is showed. The swtor_fix.exe was downloaded back when I played in 2014. Has it been updated since then?

Nothing else shows when I hit Play from the launcher besides the game application loading screen.

If you have not played since 2014, then I do not know. I was not using CrossOver in those days, I was actually dual booting.

My advise is create a new bottle, and start from scratch. You will probably waste an hour or two troubleshooting this old install, and by that time depending on your internet connection it will download all the updates. I am not sure what changed since 2014, but knowing the release schedule, a LOT of downloads happen on a weekly basis, not to mention Yearly :)

Firstly, I would recommend you update CrossOver to 16.x.
Secondly, I... eh... second Yury here. Lot's of updates between 2014 and now. I would just reinstall the game from scratch. Just make sure that swtor_fix.exe is in the same bottle and try again.

I hope this will work. You may want to post your system specs, as they also might be a factor now.

It seems as though the update worked! I simply had to update my CrossOver to 16 and now my game loads and functions well!

Good to hear it..... "May the Force be With you"

Hey thanks for your step by step. It worked for me. But I exited the game and now want to play again and I can't figure out how to run the swtor_fix ... Could please help me? Thank you

Erik

You need to place swtor_fix.exe in the bottle where SW:TOR resides. From there you can either place a short cut to swtor_fix.exe on your desktop and run it from there, or you use CrossOvers "Execute Command..." option (I hope that's how it's called. I use the German version).

You need to start TOR first, log in, let it patch, then run swtor_fix, then click Play. Fairly easy. You can actually start swtor_fix any time AFTER you started TOR, but BEFORE you click the Play button.

Please let us know if this worked for you.

Erik Mendoza wrote:

Hey thanks for your step by step. It worked for me. But I exited the
game and now want to play again and I can't figure out how to run
the swtor_fix ... Could please help me? Thank you

Erik

Erik in the guide :
. Drag the SWTOR_FIX.EXE in to the directory.

1. To Make it easier to load (on a mac, on linux you can use soft links, will update when I try install on linux) create an Alias (Right click on file and select "Make Alias".

2. Drag the Alias file to the root of drive_c. This is optional but it will help you load the file faster when using the Run Command. (DO NOT Close the Window)

3. Run the SWTOR fix by clicking on Run command and selecting the file (now in drive_c). A Window will open saying waiting for swtor ....

SO if you flowed these steps....
Then you would RUn the SWTOR fix again as in Number 11 each time before you start the game.

1 to 15 of 15

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaEd3Z1Vwa3NzcEJQNFlMVSIsImdkcHIiOjB9