Star Wars: The Old Republic Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

SW:TOR under Catalina and 19.0.0 Beta - not working

Just wanted to let everybody know that SW:TOR with the current iteration of CrossOver 19.0.0 Beta under Catalina will not run. It seems to be the old issue with the two non-communicating processes is rearing its ugly head again. Not sure if this is Wine or CrossOver related. I will file a Beta report for the developers about this.

Hopefully that issue will be fixed by the time of release so we can enjoy playing TOR under Catalina.

Any update on a workaround?

<Yoda>Patience, you must learn, young padawan. Ready to play, you are not. Deceived by the dark side of reoccurring bugs, you have been. Meditate, and focus. A new patch, enlightenment might bring.</Yoda>

Yes, yes, old coddler, move along. Nothing to see here. shoves Yoda gently aside

This is a reoccurring problem for TOR. The two main processes need to talk to each other (simply spoken) and the patch for that was seemingly left out in the new release, as this seems to be based on a stable codebase from Wine, where this issue was never fixed. TOR only works in the development and staging versions (which usually get updates very quickly). Sadly, these do no longer work under Catalina (no 32 Bit support), so currently there's no other option but to return to Mojave.

Try this and set a lutris script, in winehq they swear it works:
Lutris script used:

files:

• setup: https://swtor-a.akamaihd.net/i...
  • launcher: https://raw.githubusercontent....
    game:
    arch: win64
    exe: drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Electronic Arts/BioWare/Star Wars - The Old Republic/launcher.exe
    prefix: $GAMEDIR
    installer:
  • task:
    description: Creating Wine prefix
    name: create_prefix
  • task:
    app: msxml3 msls31 winhttp vcrun2008 d3dx9
    description: Installing winetricks verbs
    name: winetricks
  • task:
    args: /S
    description: Installing SWTOR
    executable: setup
    name: wineexec
  • task:
    name: winekill
  • execute:
    command: mkdir -p "$GAMEDIR/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Electronic Arts/BioWare/Star
    Wars - The Old Republic"
  • extract:
    dst: $GAMEDIR/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Electronic Arts/BioWare/Star Wars -
    The Old Republic
    file: $GAMEDIR/drive_c/users/$USER/Temp/InstallSWTOR/swtor.rar
  • merge:
    dst: $GAMEDIR/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Electronic Arts/BioWare/Star Wars -
    The Old Republic
    src: launcher
    system:
    env:
    PBA_ENABLE: 1
    __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE: 1
    GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH: $GAMEDIR
    GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS: 1
    mesa_glthread: 'true'
    wine:
    esync: true
    version: esync-staging-pba-3.16-x86_64

Ok, just realised something funny:

I installed CrossOver 19 on Mojave and TOR at least got to the character selection screen! So, the problem might lie in a missing 32 Bit lib or something else that exists on Mojave but not Catalina.

Food for thought...

PS: Also installed Wine 5.0.0 rc3 which also works on Mojave (well, got to the char selection screen).
PPS: The Lutris script above will not work on macOS, since Lutris only supports Linux. On Mojave (or earlier) a current Wine 5.0-RC3 will run TOR just fine (as will CrossOver 19.0.0).

Hello-

Not sure if this forum is still active. I've been troubleshooting with Crossover v 19.0.1 while running Catalina. I followed Yury's tutorial and have been able to get past the launcher and to the loading screen. I can hear the ambient sounds and can hover over options and hear the response but the loading screen seems to be forever loading. I've removed the bitraider folders and relaunched, no luck. I'm not too inept at these things but if any one has had this problem or can lend a hand it would be much appreciated.

Thank ya!

Hi, yes. There's not much going on right now. ;)

As stated above TOR will work with CrossOver 19.x on Mojave, but no such luck on Catalina. My (very uninformed) guess is, that a necessary 32Bit lib is missing in the 32Bit wrapper that CrossOver 19 is using to enable 32Bit apps on Catalina.

Not sure if CodeWeavers is working on this, but my (again, uninformed) guess is, that it would make sense for them to actively trying to improve the 32Bit wrapper for future versions of CrossOver. 32Bit days are gone in macOS, so it needs to work if people still need to run 32Bit Windows apps.

I see, too bad. Well, I'm sure we'll get something soon enough!

Thank you, Andreas!

-Zane

Unfortunately the issue with being stuck at the loading screen persists even with 20.0.2 - on the latest macOS 11.0.1.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiclNYaEtyRnJDR0FBZGV1dyIsImdkcHIiOjB9