StarCraft Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Starcraft On Newest Ver. Of Crossover

I Know all of you think that it is Impossible to run SC on the newest ver of Crossover. However if you follow these instructions it will work

1. Start Linux(I use Kubuntu)
  2. Insert SC
  3. Right Click on CD icon
  4. Rename to F:\

Start Starcraft Like Normal

Note: It was reeeeeaaaalllllyyyy laggy on my inspiron 7000 Celeron 700 so idunno what kind of speed youll get

You Should now be able to play

If you followed my directions

Linux 😅 's at Windows

When you say it works do you mean that it plays at an acceptable speed? I marked it "does not work" simply because even on a very fast machine it is intolerably slow to update the screen. This doesn't happen with WineHQ Wine, and I've generated enough debug traces to know in general what the problem is, but I haven't yet seen any workarounds that will make it work correctly with the current version of CXOffice.

If it is wokring better for you, what X server are you using, and at what color depth?

I would agree, it may start and you may get a menu but there's no way you could actually play the game its too slow, plus it crashes when you try and use battle.net. I don't know if that ever worked or not but I don't like playing SC in single player mode

p.s I would like to say that it does run in a VM with windows on it. Not my preferred method of running programs but it does work

I agree as well: I'm on a pretty beefy laptop (T60, Centrino Duo, 2 gigs RAM) and have the ATI binary drivers installed, and it's still far, far too slow to be usable.

Ok, AMD AthlonXP 3000+ 1.5gig of ram and GeForce7300GT, moves way too slow to be playable.

CXOffice is using different bitmap code than WineHQ Wine. I've traced the bitmap calls while running this game a lot of times and I can see where it diverges. I was going to create a standalone test case that didn't involve running the actual game, but I got involved with something else. However, the game works well with WineHQ Wine, so I just play it with that.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTHdkd05ybndDV1h0d0pGTSIsImdkcHIiOjB9