Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam having trouble with redistributables (Sacred 2: Gold)

As I have mentioned before, Steam is having trouble with Sacred 2: Gold, and it is indeed Steam, as I have successfully installed the game using the Gamer's Gate installer.

The problem is that each time I try to launch S2:G from Steam it tries to install three redistributable packages -- DirectX, PhysX, and Visual Basic C++. Or at least I think Visual Bsic C++ is the third. Its "vcredist_x86.exe" in the folder. In anycase, upon first attempt there are three. For all attempts there after there are two things to be installed. I don't know what both of these are, but I do know what one is -- DirectX. I tried installing that particular program "manually" through the CX installer, however it failed to install.
It seems clear that it isn't needed as I've never needed it before, and certainly doesn't need it now as I'm running S2:G in the Steam bottle and the Gamer's Gate installer didn't install anything other than the game itself. Or atleast none that I saw.

It is installing DirectX over and over because the installation fails. I don't know the root cause, so I was unable to fix it, but you can temporarily work around the problem by deleting C:\windows\system32\xinput_*.dll in the bottle . After that, run the game again and the DirectX installation will succeed. Steam will then mark DirectX as installed and won't try again for this game. You'll have to repeat this for all affected games.

There is an alternative. Looking at the .vdf file for the game you'll see that upon successful installation, Steam will create some registry keys. Creating those yourself should also suppress the endless reinstalling.

But, aside from endless reinstalls, does the game run at all?

You could post the contents of the .vdf file here and I could probably figure out what exact keys and values you need. The file should be in the application's folder.

From the info on SteamDB I would guess the keys are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Valve\Steam\Apps\225640
directx=dword:1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Valve\Steam\Apps\225640
vcredist=dword:1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AGEIA Technologies
physx=dword:1

But while I'm sure of the paths in the registry, I can only guess the actual key names until I see the vdf file's content.

And I can force a cross tie to make those registry keys in Steam's place I believe, there by fixing my currently rubish cross tie?

Yup, that's how my F.E.A.R. crosstie works and that is the reason I made the suggestion.

If your game has multiple distributors it makes sense to only make those registry modifications only for the one version that needs them. Take a look at the advanced stuff in the crosstie documentation. The <useif> clauses is what you're looking for.. There's some discussion on how to use them in the crosstie forums where I ask all of the "silly" questions so others won't have to :)

Silviu, you motherless nerf herder, it worked! Thank you!

Actually my current cross-tie is only set up for steam since:
(A) I don't know how to set it up for more than one distributor and
(B) installing with Gamer's Gate installer just works.

I'll fix up my cross tie to work with steam sometime soon, and think on the other at some later time. Things are about to get quite a bit busy for me.

Also, for any one reading this thread, Stefan's fix also works.

While both of those fixes worked in 13.0.0 and 13.0.1, neither work in 13.1.0. Any suggestions as to why?

Can you give us more info than "it doesn't work" please?

Hi guys,

if anyone has a new solution for this I'd be glad. I'm currently running 13.2.0 and I'd really like to play the game.
Thx for any possible answer.

You need to be more exact on the definition of "this". None of the issues discussed here are going to impact playing the game. The worse you'd get is an annoying info message from Steam that it's trying to install DirectX every time you want to play. Steam will still try to load the game even if redistributable packages fail to install.

Fell free to create a new topic if the game does not work for you and don't forget the system details, in particular GPU, driver version, distribution and the output of either /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag or $HOME/cxoffice/bin/cxdiag enclosed in [code][/code] tags.

Timo Kebel wrote:

Hi guys,

if anyone has a new solution for this I'd be glad. I'm currently
running 13.2.0 and I'd really like to play the game.
Thx for any possible answer.

In the current beta version (CX 14 Beta 2) no work around are required. Hopefully whatever changed will make it all the way through the to the final release.

1 to 12 of 12

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUzltWG1DVUh3N0piaGZIZyIsImdkcHIiOjB9