Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam hangs at login in Crossover 21

The program stuck at "Connecting Steam account"

This issue happens both in Crossover 21 Mac (M1) and Linux. My unstable internet connection may be related to it, but native (mac/Linux) Steam clients worked pretty well under the same connection.

I've seen an old post [link=https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/steam?msg=170311][/link] . I think my issue is quite close to the old discussions

Launch Steam using the following options on macOS

-udpforce -allosarches -cef-force-32bit

For Linux you should only need

-udpforce

There’s a known bug for Steam not always connecting on Winehq (can’t remember the bug ID), CrossOver-21 lightly contains the patch in that bug report but some comments reported that it’s unreliable.

Thanks much for the help on that question. It's been annoying me that Steam took 5+ minutes to open each time prior to that fix.

I had the same problem on my Macbook Air M1 with Crossover 21.1 - after i updated it to the the beta-release 21.2.0 beta1 the login-problem seems to be fixed.

Need help please. Steams hangs on the login screen. Need step by step advice on where to put in the code. I tried to do it on Terminal not working. Also the beta version how do I download it.

The solution above does not work for me at all. Steam takes a while to connect and becomes completely unresponsive. I used to be able to remedy this by adding -tcp to the command line or deleting appcache but neither of those work for me now. Running steam through crossover has been a struggle from the start and I am feeling exhausted trying to make it work. Can anyone suggest anything else at all? I tried downloading the beta but that also does not work. I have run out of options...

Merks wrote:

The solution above does not work for me at all. Steam takes a while
to connect and becomes completely unresponsive. I used to be able to
remedy this by adding -tcp to the command line or deleting appcache
but neither of those work for me now. Running steam through
crossover has been a struggle from the start and I am feeling
exhausted trying to make it work. Can anyone suggest anything else
at all? I tried downloading the beta but that also does not work. I
have run out of options...

I am also experiencing this issue, even with 21.2-rc1. Steam (eventually) logs in, at least, but then it gradually becomes totally unresponsive. It gets to a point where nothing downloads and I can't even move the window around.

Running it on a 2021 MacBook Pro w/ M1 Pro.

That sounds like a different issue. Please submit a support ticket.

Best,
Meredith

21.2 (Release)

Can confirm the same issue on M1 Max MBP. Steam installed by choosing steam app and then changing bottle type to win 10.

Starts sluggish, trends to unresponsive, also fails to sync cloud saves (Grim Dawn).

Issue was also present during beta (just signed up yesterday and tried the beta download of Crossover).

Hi, I had raised a support ticket, and after couple of to-fro mails. this is the response I got.
As it turns out this is websocket connection bug we fixed in CrossOver 21.2. If you haven't updated to this build yet you may want to do so, or your can download the build directly from you account downloads here : https://www.codeweavers.com/account/downloads

I updated Crossover to the latest version and Steam seems to be working fine now. Fingers crossed.
Hope this helps.

Rajesh K wrote:

Hi, I had raised a support ticket, and after couple of to-fro mails. this is the response I got.
As it turns out this is websocket connection bug we fixed in CrossOver 21.2. If you haven't updated to this build yet you may want to do so, or your can download the build directly from you account downloads here : https://www.codeweavers.com/account/downloads

I updated Crossover to the latest version and Steam seems to be working fine now. Fingers crossed.
Hope this helps.

Nope on 21.2 as mentioned in my post. Have shifted to GOG version as a workaround. Works beautifully without Steam in the mix. Will retry next time I see a crossover update or new beta.

Okay, Good Suggestion

1 to 12 of 12

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTnlTUnhMSDdUYUJGUDh0diIsImdkcHIiOjB9