Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Any way to run games in a virtual desktop?

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is a way to tell Crossover Games 10.2.1 to run specific games in a virtual desktop?
I'd like that setting to be on a case to case basis. Steam is running fine by the default settings, and most of the games behave correctly without resorting to the virtual desktop.

I already tried to run winecfg, select and/or browse to the game's executable file (in this case: vigil blood bitterness.exe) in the application pane, and then go to Grphics pane, check the "Use virtual desktop" with a size of 800x600. To no avail. It seems like launching through steam makes Crossover ignore these kind of settings...

Any hint appreciated.

Antoine

Hi...

...no, crossover isn't ignoring things - it's a case of process inheritance.
That is to say, wrt a Steam bottle, the first process to be launched is Steam.exe,
and at the moment of bottle startup, the wine processes start with whatever
emulated desktop setting is applied globally or for Steam.exe ; then, every steamapp
launched thereafter, inherits that very same condition, regardless of any app
override you might set (which is what you're seeing)...

...for this to behave in the manner you would -like- it to, would essentially mean
finding some way to restart Steam, and the wine server, so that the emulated desktop
setting is applied on the restarting wine server process, and then to the restarting
Steam process..and finally, onto your app...

...the only 'cleanish' way to work around this at present, is to have two Steam bottles,
one with emulated virtual desktop off and the other with it set on, and install any
steamapps that need emulated virtual desktop set into that latter Steam bottle. Else,
you're left with having to do what I say above...ie; shutdown steam, goto winecfg,
apply the setting, restart steam...play your app...and then go thru this all again
when you don't want things that way.....

Cheers!

It's all or nothing.

This is because of Steam DRM. The game will see that Steam is not running in the Wine environment and will then launch Steam which will then launch the game. I would recommend keeping all of Steam in a virtual desktop anyway.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWDJWVzhFZzNQVXE0MlBrYiIsImdkcHIiOjB9