Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

UI picked up by mouse

Hi,

This may be a dual monitor thing, but when click on the Steam window it is as if I am trying to drag the window around (i.e. mouse button held). Steam windows also reposition themselves when this happens, so they float around, not under the cursor but elsewhere!

I am using nvidia drivers 290.10, running on a laptop, outputting the display to two external monitors, so the internal display isn't being used. The graphics chipset is an NVS 3100M.

There seem to be a multitude of slowdowns with this machine and compositing window managers, so I am using XFCE. Steam idles at around 17% CPU usage on this Core i5 M520 @ 2.40GHz machine.

I hear that because I have dynamic twinview enabled the nvidia drivers misreport the refresh rate of the monitors to the system, so while the monitors run at 60Hz, the drivers claim 50Hz. This has caused some issues with compositing window managers running slowly, but forcing gnome 3 to run at 60Hz internally didn't solve all performance problems, so it would appear there are other problems as well.

I can run bit.trip runner (non-steam) with no slowdown, but I haven't pushed this machine graphically yet.

Any thoughts? I haven't found another thread on the subject of sticky windows, but maybe my search foo is not good today.

Sorry, this only happens when I click on a window in an area that I could click and hold to move it. It is as if the left mouse button sticks. Unfortunately since the window runs away from the pointer, clicking on steam again to get it to release the pointer can be tricky!

I see the same thing on my system (Nvidia GTX260 with the same driver version) I've had the same issue for as long as I can remember with Steam/Crossover.

Yeah it's been going on for years. Doesn't matter if you're dual screen, I frequently restart x with a single monitor setup when I game, and get the same result. You have to your mouse back over the window real quick and click on it to get it to stop moving around offset of your cursor. I usually disable composite manager and anything else that might take up any cpu or graphics power so you can get every FPS possible in the game. Steam idles for me less then 5% usually, unless I have a game or download or something else going on.

Yup, it's been going on for ever.

The best way to grant focus to the Steam window is via Alt-Tab or clicking Steam on the Taskbar.

The best way to move the Steam window (on Linux, at least), is to Alt-click the window and drag it where you will.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia0Z1Q0FlOG40blZ5cVJMcCIsImdkcHIiOjB9