Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Corrupted Steam when migrating to CX11?

Hi,

I've seen it twice now: two old bottles with Steam on them, I bring them into CX11, bam, can't run Steam anymore, it just crashes shortly after displaying itself.

I haven't tried all my steam bottles (about a dozen?), but it would be painful to have to redownload Gigs of games because of this.

I've left one of the buggy Steam bottles alone, hoping that I can run some tests on it. Any ideas what to try?

Edit: I should mention that I ran it with +ntdll and +seh, but nothing jumped at me as significant.

... you need revise your strategy wrt dealing with Steam games...ie;
install Steam, install the game, wait for it to finishing updating (if
indeed that's what it wants to do), then create a steambackup of the
game files within the Steam UI, -before- you even attempt to run the
steamapp -- save the steambackup(s) somewhere - mine are on an external
2tb USB drive... that's how to avoid (re)downloading gigs of data...

• try making a bottle archive in CXG-10.x, and then restoring that into cx11 (this seems to work)

• force Steam into an update by deleting 'ClientRegistry.blob' ; it sometimes works

• reinstall Steam into the same bottle ; this worked once or twice for me

• if your 'old' steam bottle has some steamapp in it that self installed Nvidia Physx, that is trouble..

• physically copy the 'old' bottle into your bottle directory, than start the bottle manager (seems to work too)...

...so far, one or another of these approaches seemed to work...

Thanks! I'll keep those in mind. Some of those suggestions are new to me.

I prefer CXArchives over Steam backups, and a restored CXArch did work for me in the beta, but then the move to RC broke that restored Steam bottle.

Is this a general wine vs. Steam thing? Or a crossover vs. Steam thing?

And could we save those suggestions somewhere? Tips & Tricks? Sticky forum post? Support wiki for Steam?

• the reason for the first para, is one must attempt to test the installation
    of a steamapp during beta testing -- a pristine steam backup of the installer
    files (before running the steamapp) is about as close as you can get -without-
    having to redownload the entire fileset again...

• if the steamapp installs Nvidia Physx as part of it's first time start routine,
    it will invariably fry the bottle's menu items -- it that happens, and you try to
    migrate the bottle, a failure wouldn't surprise me (cx11 having to deal with the
    corruption, and not coping with that mess)...

• when it isn't that, and the migration fails, my first hunch is that something
    in the new cx11 bottle/registry spooks the steam client into thinking that it's
    being hacked or such, and the DRM kicks in and stops things (I'm none too bothered
    about looking for the actual cause)...

• if -you- want to make a Tip&Trick about such things, go for it -- + XP for you =)

Added a Tip & Trick with the basic two tips for restoring Steam client. I think those should help the most people with this kind of problem. In fact, I think I've read the suggestion for deleting the blob file in the Steam forums themselves.

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

-- a pristine steam backup of the installer
files (before running the steamapp) is about as close as you can get
-without-
having to redownload the entire fileset again...

This makes so much sense now that you point it out ... Thanks!

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUFhSZWFBdXZxek1OMzhxdCIsImdkcHIiOjB9