Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam Crashing on Startup

Is anyone else having issues when trying to start Steam? I'm on OSX Mavericks with version 13.0.0.27609 of Crossover. Whenever I try to run Steam, it checks for updates then crashes. It was working just fine yesterday and there was no update to Steam as far as I can tell so I have no idea why it has started crashing.

Any Ideas?

Same problem here.

It looks like this is being tracked by both Codeweavers (Nikolay Sivov) and WineHQ

1. Bug reports: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35046 and http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35030
  2. From the comments the GIT repository has the change committed Here which fixes the issue.

Installing a new bottle, then installing steam fresh exhibits the same issue, so it isn't upgrade related.

EDIT: Bug links don't work when I short form them, they link to codeweavers bug reports vice winehq automagically

I have the exact same problem. It checks for an update and after it says connecting steam account it closes. There was a steam update yesterday. v012
I imagine that has something to do with this.

I've been having this problem for at least 4-5 days. Not update related. New bottle does the same thing eventually. Steam BETA update did the same thing. The wine bugs above look promising - hopefully codeweavers will integrate it soon. Are there any steam tickets open on it or is there anythnig we should do to make sure they're going to merge the patches in the wine bugs listed above?

Apparently, it's not the installer crashing but the post-install part, the startup of Steam client service. However that fix only applies to Linux. Useless to me as I'm on a Mac.

Steam beta update rolled out a fews days ago, it was only pushed to the general public today.

From the bugtracker thread, a Token return value is misdocumented in MSDN. ( "ReturnLength" is really hard-coded to
NULL while "PreviousState" is non-NULL (stack var))

Note that it is not the update process which is crashing, it is the post-install steam binary, part of the Steam client service.

Since it was a codeweavers employee that published the original patch, I'm certain they are aware. If it is like previous fixes a workaround will likely be posted in this thread/forum prior to issuing a general 13.0.1 update. (Purely speculation based on history, I am in no way involved with either codeweavers or wine)

EDIT: @Philip Law: The fix is not useless to you, as the same wine codebase is used to generate both the Mac and Linux versions of wine. Chances are they will both be fixed at around the same time.

So as of yet is there anyway to fix the problem on Mac? There is no SteamSetup.exe in the program files for steam on mac.

We are aware, yes, and working on a fix. We'll let you know asap when we have more. Sorry for the downtime.

Sweet :)

I can't wait to get back to my Skyrim. 😊

Lol same. I hope they fix it fast man :P

Fixed! We have released CrossOver 13.0.1 to fix this problem with Steam. You can upgrade by downloading it from our home-page now. If you are on a Mac, you can use CrossOver's built-in self-update feature to install CrossOver 13.0.1: just use 'Check for Updates' from CrossOver's menu and you should be set. If you have automatic updates enabled, CrossOver itself should prompt you to update next time you launch CrossOver.

Sorry for the downtime.

Best,

Josh.

Sweet! Thanks for the rapid response!

Plawdawg wrote:

Sweet! Thanks for the rapid response!

The only reason we could get a working version out so fast is that it was fixed in winehq before we even knew about the problem. So it's thanks to the open-source community for the fast response! All that happened around here was that I typed 'make' (actually we have a fancy perl script instead of plain 'make,' but you get the idea) ;)

Hope it works well for you!

Hello again. I just updated my client yesterday and everything worked, but now I try to start steam today and it will either crash after checking for updates or before even getting to that point. Any ideas why this would be happening?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

hi

try turning the legacy x window system on. it worked for me. alternatively, run steam.exe with debug options on, that also tends to work for some unknown reason (and if it does not, you'll at least have some error messages to work with)

best,
mihai

1 to 16 of 16

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoid2ZHcTU0RVprZXVWVmF3VCIsImdkcHIiOjB9