Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Having difficulty launching game.

Since CrossOver 13 came out I've been having issues with steam. At first it wouldn't let me authenticate my computer (13.0.0) and now (13.0.1) the programs aren't launching. Some will but most won't.

Which ones wont, for example? I had/have pretty much the same problem and have found two causes so far:

1) nvidia-drivers. My laptop with a 570gtx couldn't launch any games on nvidia-drivers 331.20 and 319.76 (perhaps more). I had to downgrade to 304.117 to get games to launch on it. I figured it was an nvidia driver problem since they've had known memory problems with all recent drivers and we're still waiting for an update ::sigh::. We'll see if the next release fixes that problem or not. I had a buddy verify he had the same issue and resolution on a similar laptop/build.

2) IDK.. I still have the same problem on my desktop which is a fairly identical Gentoo build to my currently working laptop. When I put my laptop hdd in my desktop, the desktop works no problem.. I've played around with nvidia-drivers, kernel configs, xorg versions, mesa, bottle configs, a bunch of random stuff I could think of that could possibly be related. So, I'm really not sure if it's some library compatability problem or not, to be honest I've been too busy to narrow this one down anymore.

A couple games I know won't launch for me are portal2 and civ5. I know there's more but I didn't really make a list.

Skyrim Launches and Agarest: Generations of War launch (don't nessisarily work well, but they launch), where as Mass Effect and Brothers don't.

Are you using nvidia-drivers - if so what version?

Also what os/distribution?

I don't have any of those games to test unfortunately.

Crossover 13 introduced some new dependencies. Have you guys checked that you're not missing them?

Here's a thread that might help with the lib hunt:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=11995;forum=1;msg=157074#c2

I'm not certain as to what fixed it, however I ran the Torchlight II cross-tie, which installed some dependencies, and now it seems to work. I need to revist Sacred 2 (for which I am an advocate) and include whatever that is in my cross-tie.

Thank you, I'll read that sometime, probably the Monday after this coming one (new semester starts this Monday).

So, before installing via crosstie how did you do it?

I merely installed Steam via its own cross tie then pointed Steam in the direction of my Windows installation of Steam. This time I installed Steam via the Torchlight II cross tie and then told it to use the Windows Steam installtion.

It was never meant to work like that.

Well, it seems to sort of work that that :D. Apparently all I needed were the libs. A coursory test shows Mass Effect to work.

P.S. I don't imagine you would want me to post another thread with a different issue using this bottle? You would want me to make a new bottle and isntall the program in that?

I usually test/install my games in separate bottles because I can't predict how one other game installing its runtimes will impact the the others...

That would be a yes. Oh, if you were thinking I was using symlinks, thats not the case. I simply added the other installation as an alternate library.

I get it but I still don't understand your reasons. I certainly would not choose to install my stuff on a NTFS volume if I'm using linux. FUSE isn't known as being a great performer and may cause additional weirdness that we can't figure out.

I have to wonder though. After adding Torchlight 2 to your "wine" Steam library, didn't it try to install runtimes when first started?

i don't recall if anything was installed or not, but I suspect so. When I ran Mass Effect for the first time in that particular installation it did as well.

The reason I did that by the way was to save time and space. Its much faster and if it works, great. As it turns out it did. i didn't isntall Torchlight II on the NTFS partition though.

Currently I'm redownloading (I'm not even copying) Sacred 2: Gold, which has worked out of the box ever since they removed the DRM. Unfortunately it hasn't worked properly since CX13. When you consider that I'm the advocate for that program, I better know how to get that to run. Currently, its issue is that it tries to install runtimes stops and then when I try to start it again, it tries installing them again. I'm going to try one more time, than I'll use my Gamer's Gate Installer to make sure that still works (got the Steam version in a Humble Bundle, and I don't really care for Gamer's Gate, even though their downloader works better in Linux with wine then in Windows...go figure, but so does Sacred 2...normally...).

1 to 14 of 14

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic250RnFMVW5CcFNmZEY4WCIsImdkcHIiOjB9