Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

New Steam update

Since i can not run steam on crossover games 8.14, i had to download the new beta of crossover games 9.0
which makes steam work perfectly. but when i run games, it loads then when its finished loading the game crashes, i've only tried Half life 2 and source games.

Any help would be appreciated

Sure I can test this for yeah soon. It may be due to the memory leak and CPU usage problem. They have been fixed in the Beta so at first try updating into the beta client.

Steam>Settings>Beta and select the Steam Beta Client

This may help fix your problem. I will give it a shot on my end tonight.

I was having the same problem, however there is no beta currently available

We have discovered one possible cause of crashes in Source-engine games under CrossOver Games 9.0b4. The games may have saved values in the registry that are now causing problems. You can try the following to move those registry settings aside, to force the games to start from the default values:

• Open the Run Command dialog. On the Mac, this is in CrossOver's Programs menu. On Linux, this is called Run Windows Command.
  • In the dialog, select the bottle with Steam in it
  • For the command, type "regedit"
  • Click Run
  • In the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Valve
  • Select the Valve key
  • From the Edit menu, select Rename
  • Change the name to "ValveOld" (really, anything other than "Valve" will do)
  • Exit the registry editor

After that, try launching your games again. If they don't crash, you may need to reapply any changes you had made to their settings (e.g. video settings).

I tried this but i couldnt find a key so i just renamed the valve folder. but that didnt seem to make a difference.

New update for steam, said something weird about CPU, didnt know what it meant though. see if the update works.

Edit: Well it didnt work. D: I cant play my games anymore

Jim edwards wrote:

I tried this but i couldnt find a key so i just renamed the valve
folder. but that didnt seem to make a difference.

yea, i couldn't find the key either so i did the same thing and it didn't work for me either

Also not seeing such a key. Maybe this is just a Source problem -- I can run the original Half Life just fine.

Hi folks,

Serious?...you do not see the key as per this screenshot..;

http://rapidshare.com/files/382148909/valvekey.png.html

That's the key being referenced here, and I think it'd be really
weird if you didn't have that key in your registry. I didn't
have any trouble like this in linux btw, so perhaps something else
is at play here...what platform/OS/videocard are those having trouble
here using?....you still should have the above key however...

..post back your info...

Cheers!

Oh, I misunderstood -- didn't know the directory itself was also a registry key. Still, renaming it did not fix it.

Currently running 9.0b4 on OSX 10.5.8. Graphics is NVIDIA GeForce 9400M.

No worries....is that a macbook pro you're running? (I did ask for platform ;)...

If it is, the following from Ken may be at play here; "[i]there is a known issue with
your system. We've got a couple of nearly identical MacBook Pros here at the company.
CrossOver Games 8.x has a workaround for a known crashing bug in the Leopard graphics
drivers, but that workaround was accidentally disabled in CrossOver Games 9.0b4. We
have since re-enabled it in internal builds. The fix will be in the next beta...[/i]"

I don't know if it's related (I don't have a Mac), but it might be...

Cheers!

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiblFIOXlDcVVmWk4yVFFoNCIsImdkcHIiOjB9