Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam help please

So i reinstalled the new crossover to support the new steam easy then reinstalled counter strike and when i load up CSS it doesn't even get to the main menu before it crashes. Any ideas i have defragged and all that just not a clue

Do I understand you correctly that this is a new bottle?

Also, what kind of system do you have, Mac or Linux? What graphics chip?

Something to try, just as an experiment: set the launch options for the game to include "-dxlevel 81 -window -width 1024 -height 768". You can set the launch options by right-clicking on the game title in Steam and selecting Properties from the context menu.

Thank you so much it worked!!!!
Wonder if it could work on DX 9 and not 8.

Jim, I suspect you have a Mac running Leopard and an Nvidia GPU. Is that right?

If so, then there's a known issue that will be fixed in the next beta of CrossOver Games 9. The problem is actually a bug in Apple's graphics drivers. CrossOver Games 8.x had a workaround for it, but the workaround got accidentally broken while we were developing 9. We've fixed it.

For now, the "-dxlevel 81" launch option should work around the issue. However, you can and should remove that from your launch options after using it once. The "-dxlevel" option is "sticky". Once you pass it in, it remains in effect until you change it. So, that's why it's not needed after the first time. On top of that, it's not wanted because when you pass that in the game engine ignores all of its saved video settings.

You can probably remove the other options, "-window -width <whatever> -height <whatever>", too. You can use the normal in-game settings to control that stuff.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNmVxQ3lTaEgyTXZhenhtWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9