Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Launching Steam?

Hi,

Firstly, I apologise if this has been addressed elsewhere; I didn't know what to search for so haven't seen anything relevant.

I believe I've installed Steam...I did get a notice saying that the installer was trying to quit but it appeared Steam hadn't been installed. I opted to skip this step and the installer finished up and closed. Now, how do I launch Steam to download Windows games?

Thanks!

Hey pilotperson,

What operating system are you using and are you on the latest version of Crossover Games (9.2.0)?

Hello,

Yes I have 9.2.0 and I'm running a mid-2008 MBP with OS10.6.4.

Hey pilotperson,

I don't know CrossOver in Mac OS X, so I don't know what to expect. As far as I know, if Steam isn't in either your Desktop, Dock (?), or Applications folder, then it didn't install. It may or may not be in a "CrossOver" or "Windows" folder.

If it's not there, try reinstalling Steam. There are many windows that should pop up during the installation process, so make sure you find them all and press Next when possible.

Let me know how it goes.

bladebot wrote:

Hey pilotperson,

I don't know CrossOver in Mac OS X, so I don't know what to expect.

Pretty much the same as on Linux. I own both Macs and Linux systems. For my games that I play, the engine runs everything about the same quality. I found that some oddball glitches with DDO on the Mac platform with regards to audio (go figure, PulseAudio not the cause of an audio problem lol).

Heya, thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't find a shortcut to Steam and the executable itself wouldn't launch so I reinstalled it but got the same message. Is there anything else I could do? :(

(Also, I don't know why the screenshot I've attached is so compressed)

Did you ever see the Steam install window?

I couldn't remember if I had (I read those EULAs so fast anyway...cough) so I reinstalled Steam again and no, I didn't see that window! So it appears the installation is failing before that. Does this mean I have to manually install something?

Okay, I think there's a folder here:
~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/

I am guessing it has the folders "Bottles" and "Installers". Delete the "Installers" folder and delete the "Steam" bottle/folder (if there is one) within "Bottles". Then try again and let me know.

I think what happened is the Steam executable didn't download completely.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bladebot. I did as you recommended, but ended up in the same place--with that "Try Again", "Skip This Step", or "Cancel Installation" dialogue. :(

Hey pilotperson,

Try downloading the Steam installer and installing it into that bottle. Use the Windows version, not the Mac version.

Heya, sorry it took so long to reply (life got in the way) but I just tried your suggested solution and it worked, thanks!

Excellent!

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZGR1ZXM0ZGZRWkt5dHY0YSIsImdkcHIiOjB9