Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

[SOLVED] 640x480 windows spawned from steam library

Hi,

i haven't found something on the forum or tickets yet, but it seems to be a problem that sometimes happen... More often here :)

I am trying steam currently which is working just as it is, feels like a "native" window controlled by the window manager.

But - if i start e.g. Greed Corp, it's also working but only in a window of 640x480. In the GREED Corp options, 640x480 is the only resolution i can choose.

I tried to set the virtual desktop size to 800x600 in the bottle settings for steam and restarted steam.
Now everything is in that little nice window, have Greed Corp also with 800x600, but both apps in that virtual window.

I also thought about only setting the installed games to that resolution, editing the cxmenu desktop data and attaching the "-s <resolution>" but - the possibility to edit the arguments for the menu entries doesn't seem to exist in the menu editor?
Doing it manually with the favorite editor should work but that isn't really "integrated"...

Any ideas?

Hi,

There's a number of Steam hoisted titles that have their own 'native' behaviors...Greed
Corp is one...for example...;

/////

QUESTION: Does Greed Corp have a windowed mode?
Yes. You can switch between fullscreen mode and windowed mode using ALT+ENTER.

QUESTION: Which launch options do I have in Steam?
Advanced users can use the Launch Options of Steam to start the game in a specific resolution or to turn on/off fullscreen mode manually. In order to do this, right-click Greed Corp in the Steam Library, select "Properties", and then select "Set Launch Options". Now use the following commands to set the resolution and fullscreen mode:

-ScreenWidth=1920 -ScreenHeight=1080 -Fullscreen=1

Note that if you set a resolution unsupported by your system, the default 640x480 resolution is used.

/////

citing: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1649850.html

There are other titles like this, but they're rare....

Cheers!

ps: although you may not have known, this is actually not a Steam issue, but an app issue -- it's always
best to post to the app's forum (not this forum), as most of the solutions have nothing to do with Steam
as such, but the apps themselves =)

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

There's a number of Steam hoisted titles that have their own
'native' behaviors...Greed
Corp is one...for example...;

I thought so, because steam itself works correct. But i wasn't sure where i should post the question to, to greed corp or to the steam forum because i think it's more a "how to hack how steam starts apps"... More below.

-ScreenWidth=1920 -ScreenHeight=1080 -Fullscreen=1

Note that if you set a resolution unsupported by your system, the
default 640x480 resolution is used.

I tried that exactly, but it just starts with 640x480 again. If i enter another wine virtual desktop resolution it is working.
My hardware is capable of 1920x1080 but wine doesn't think it is.
Hm ok when i think about it, it seems that it is not a steam or greed corp issue, instead it seems to be a cxgames wine issue?

How does steam spawns applications within wine? Can parameters be "injected" to the wine call only for the spawned applications on start? e.g. give -s 1280x1024 to the wine call (even if wine is not called directly i think)?

But then it seems that i have to first check why greed corp and other games sometimes thinks that i can only do 640x480.?

ps: although you may not have known, this is actually not a Steam
issue, but an app issue -- it's always
best to post to the app's forum (not this forum), as most of the
solutions have nothing to do with Steam
as such, but the apps themselves =)

I posted here to find a hack for the way how steam launches the games out of the library and to inject the wine -s parameters, and that is a steam issue - or to find a way to create start menu/desktop starters which the special wine parameters to launch e.g. greed corp.

HM ok, i'll try to look at GREED Corp why it does think i can only do 640x480.
Bye
Björn

Hi,
Note that if you set a resolution unsupported by your system, the
default 640x480 resolution is used.

Got it! That's it, i haven't thought about it but i stumbled across some entries in the ticket section.

That can fit:

~ $ xrandr
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 3360 x 1200, current 3360 x 1200, maximum 3360 x 1200
default connected 3360x1200+0+0 0mm x 0mm

That is maybe NOT a supported resolution...
I'll try to investigate that now on the wine side.

Hi again,

Typically speaking when you launch Steam, the wine process is passed the video/screenmodes
available to it via the system video driver. In OSX, that would be the same modes displayed in
System Prefs -> Display ; in linux, it will be whatever the monitor EDID reported to the xdriver
at init , or, whatever else you have in the xserver configuration file. Some linux distros can
get this 'wrong' in a sense ...ie; technically speaking, a 4:3 aspect 1024x768 resolution screen
is invalid for a 16:10 aspect widescreen monitor, however, many newer monitors have their own
onboard 'smarts' that let them do that mode anyhow -- not all xserver setups are aware of this.

If you include extra modeline specifications in your xserver configuration, that can usually
solve some of these situations...

Cheers!

Currently it seems that's just a stupid dual-monitor twinview problem.

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=40647&sid=358e192a75c3b8b076aeb496c5a90dac

The same problem applied to a user with Halflife:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3;tips=1

I'm trying to find the correct "working" NVidia Twinview Xinerama settings tipp within the next days.

Do you know if there is such "global" tipps area where it can be posted to? Is there a global FAQ?

Björn Kalkbrenner wrote:

Currently it seems that's just a stupid dual-monitor twinview
problem.

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=40647&sid=358e192a75c3b8b076aeb496c5a90dac

The same problem applied to a user with Halflife:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3;tips=1

I'm trying to find the correct "working" NVidia Twinview Xinerama
settings tipp within the next days.

Do you know if there is such "global" tipps area where it can be
posted to? Is there a global FAQ?

Right - when I saw your previous post and saw the resolution quoted, I figured you
either had a very interesting monitor, or you had a dual-head setup -- it wasn't
immediately obvious =) The issues with Wine and dual monitors has been known for some
time, and as I understand it, this is more mooted in the way the xserver/video drivers
present the situation (to the app), compared to how the win32 counterparts do the same
thing. Even putting wine/crossover aside for a moment, dual-head setups in linux can
be fickle even with native apps.....

....what {ahem} 'should' work, would be a scenario of say two, 1650x1080 displays, which would appear
as the composite $display area of 3300x1080 and would be addressed as localhost:0 , the left display
as localhost:0.0 and the right display as localhost:0.1 ...but it doesn't work that way. It might not
even be what you want to do, it's just an example. If one wanted to span -both- displays with the app's
video output, then you're still limited to whatever maximum resolution the win32 app is going to support.
If, say, that resolution was 1920x1080 maximum, the 'proper' way to display that on the composite desktop,
would be with the 1920x1080 viewport centered on the two display areas, with a 690pixel wide black bar
to the left/right of that. If you did that, then you have to calculate mouse coordinates and so forth,
from a 0,0 position that appears at 690 of the overall display size, and things get uglier from here on in...

Like I say though, it depends on exactly what you're trying to do. What one would -like- to have happen,
is if the app's max resolution was 1920x1080, being able to present that as 2 viewports each of 960x1080
in size might work (supposing the display handled whatever modeline that calculates out to)..ie; you change
the maximum $display size presented by the 2 monitors. This has problems as well...

From what I've read about the place, the maximum resolution Greed Corp supports (I have it as well), is
1920x1080 with all 16:9/10 & 4:3 aspect resolutions under that catered for. I suspect if you enable the
'emulate a virtual desktop' feature and set desktop size to 1920x1080, it might pop to fullscreen then.
It might not be what you want, but, it would example the behavior. (if that didn't work, it might be due
to the refresh-rate set in registry for the emulated desktop window). I used to have twinview setup here,
emulated virtual desktop was the only way out most times - I don't use it anymore =)

It really depends on the app tho' ...ie; if Greed Corp supported 3300x1080 in the example above, it'd likely
all work fine, but as that isn't the case, one wishes you could command the GPU on the video card to just
retarget the graphics steams for you <grin>...

Cheers!

ps: there is a General forum area, but, this is as good a place as any for twinview stuffs ...

Like I say though, it depends on exactly what you're trying to do.
What one would -like- to have happen,

You are completely right. It's a long time ago that i tried to run native linux games. I did not play much.

BUT i deeply remember in my brain that since the last years i did several fights with Xinerama and twinview due such facts like 1024x768 in the middle of both monitors (really useful configuration...) with just black borders around and such stuff. Exactly what you wrote. The current problem is just 1440x900 on the left side and 1920x1200 on the right side - that also hurts my gnome desktop a lot because some icons and apps are just "stupid". The "awesome windows navigator" have big problems with calculating it's correct position...
What i have never understood is that someone can think about using several monitors as "one big" monitor in just normal office or home use. That is not true, there are no borderless home monitors,
Point.

I would like to have my application be maximized on the active monitor and not on both monitors...

I remember some setting that worked with nvidia and behaved like on windows (not using some ati driver stuff which does the same trash maximizing on both monitors). I think it was Xinerama with xorg and two-screen setup.That worked as it should - BUT - if i remember correct - that killed the 3d acceleration.

That is a looooong time ago (3 or 4 years when i tried several setups), i thought the problems were fixed in xorg and the drivers sigh...
Nevermind, that's just history. I'll do the same xinerama-twinview tests again.

Virtual Desktop size is an option to just use it now, but not forever. I'll try to find a better solution, not only for me :)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiblZDQVd0RnliZWVFcHBUciIsImdkcHIiOjB9