Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Friends Chat won't show messages; only outgoing messages work - Linux Basic 6.2

We decided to install Crossover on our machine running Kubuntu, and the installation went smoothly, both of Crossover and Steam. Steam starts up and seems to work as well as it does for us in OS X. However, I noticed a problem (which may not be unique to Linux, I can't test it in OS X right now) that messages from friends do not work properly.

It is possible to open a chat window (right-click a friend in your list, choose "Send message..."), and it is possible to send messages, but sent messages do not appear, and no incoming messages appear at all. Sent messages do go through - we tested that with another account that was running Steam under Windows. But any messages sent from the Windows machine did not reach the Kubuntu machine.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and has a solution been found?

A small edit - I should mention that I do not have this problem in Crossover 6.2 under OS X 10.4.11.

I have exactly the same problems (Debian Sid).
Additionally my "Friends windows" doesn't refresh my status nor my friends'

As of today, this problem still persists in Crossover Linux 6.2.0 in Ubuntu 7.10.

Yep, we know that problem. It happens on Linux, on MacOS everything works. I suspect it has to do with the installed fonts, as this is the only non-3D difference between Mac and Linux I can think of, but I could not isolate what the problem is exactly.

Good, I am glad it's being addressed, at least! I should mention it's also still occuring in Crossover Games 7.0.0 (in Ubuntu 7.10). I really hope you can find a way to fix it soon. Thank you!

Still occurring in COG 7.1.1 (Debian Sid).

Just to clarify, this has been fixed in a recent Steam Client update. Restart Steam to get it, and you should now get working chat.

Yes, Valve were kind enough to change the way Steam was working just for the benefit of their Linux-users-via-Wine-and-CrossOver. We eventually discovered that the original problem was actually due to a bug in the Linux kernel.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVnJYZWJGaEN5Q2dWZ1dTdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9