Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Fonts are choppy & illegible (Mac CX Games 7.1.0) (Solved)

Hello,

If this has been addressed, I could not find it. Anyway, for as long as I can recall using Crossover with Steam and Source games, the fonts in server menus and some other places have been what I would call "choppy," that is, they are not clear and in some cases are essentially unreadable.

Here is an image demonstrating this:

As is obvious, it's very difficult to read some of the server titles. Even when it is possible to understand, it's still extremely ugly.

This occurs in any Source game that uses a similar server list, and it also occurs on my friends list.

What can be done to fix this?

Thank you in advance.

Brighid

We're aware of this problem, but honestly don't yet know what the issue is. It seems to be related to the fonts installed in your Mac / Linux system, and in your bottle. CrossOver installs a lot of Windows fonts into the bottle when installing Steam.

One thing you could try(if you own a Windows license) is to copy all the files in C:\windows\fonts from a real Windows installation to C:\windows\fonts in the bottle.

Brilliant! That seems to have fixed it, take a look:

I copied over everything from the windows/fonts folder in "Sector C" (my Windows partition) and that's the result. It looks just as it does in Windows.

Thank you for the idea; I hope it helps you narrow the problem down.

I noticed the same thing on Linux (crappy fonts), is it possible to use a substitute font? (Like one of the Red Hat Liberation ones?)

I don't want to undermine Stefan's answer since it was technically correct, but it's almost akin to a doctor telling you to take one of everything in your medicine cabinet and see if your symptoms subside. For further reference, the only fonts you need to copy over are tahoma.ttf and tahomabd.ttf.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZjZYSmh2cDVOVVB5SFA2UiIsImdkcHIiOjB9