Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can't Install Demos

The Steam GUI works pretty well for the most part. However, I can't seem follow any links (in the Store section) to install demo games, for example the Civ 4 demo or the Dark Messiah demo.

I'm running CrossOver Games 7.1.1 on Mac OS 10.5.4 on a MacBook Pro, 2.6 GHz.

The issue is that steam:// URLs don't work in Mac OS X -- what you can do is get the URL and run something like:

/Applications/CrossOver\ Games.app/Contents/MacOS/CrossOver\ Games --bottle <bottlename> "~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/<bottlename>/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe" <url>

in a Terminal window. It's not really pretty.

Ok -- that doesn't actually work; but it's simpler to launch Crossover then Run Command..

~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/<bottlename>/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe <url>

There is a way to do it from the Terminal which I'll post when I find my notes -- I launch it from an AppleScript which prompts for a URL; so I copy the steam:// URL and then just paste.

You can also install Windows firefox in the bottle. The steam:// links work in Windows browsers running in CrossOver

Even easier, it appears that entering "start the URL" (without quotes) into the Run Command dialog works.

This seems broken right now. I got Firefox in the same bottle, and managed to install the World of Goo demo, but all later attempts to install demos fail silently, I.E. clicking "Yes, I have Steam" in Firefox only starts Steam, but does not seem to start any downloads. Running something like "start steam://run/219" (URL found in source of pop-up window asking if I have Steam installed) does not work either. "start steam://purchase" urls seem to work, though.

I have steam, but when I click on a link to download a demo, nothing happens

what works is the following:

• use your normal browser to go to http://steampowered.com

• select the game demo you want to install

• click the install demo

• a popup will show asking you if you "got steam", select yes

• a new browser window will open with an URL, for example: steam://run/16022

• start Steam the normal way

• go to your CrossoverGames menu, select Run a Windows Command

• use the "browse" button to select steam.exe: you will get something like this:
    "/home/<username>/.cxgames/<bottle-name>/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steam.exe"

• simply add a space and then the URL you got before, so you get something like this:
    "/home/<username>/.cxgames/<bottle-name>/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steam.exe" steam://run/16022

• a new steam window will open and you can take it from there

Alex.

just install firefox or internet explorer 6 in the same bottle.

Hi,

I'm a new customer thanks to the Lame Duck promotion. Love the program overall. So, I combed the forums and I think I've tried everything to download and install demos from Steam. I've tried installing Firefox in the same bottle. I've tried installing IE6 in the same bottle (I later read in a different thread that you shouldn't do that). I've also tried running the command "Start 'Steam URL'" as well as the much longer browse method for the command.

Using Firefox, it will start Steam and then nothing happens. When I run the command, it says it's running, and then nothing happens. I've now deleted all my old bottles and created a brand new Win2000 bottle, which only has Steam installed. It resides here:

"/Users/me/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/Steam-1/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe"

Again I tried the command method with no luck.

I'm running a Macbook Pro with the following specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB

For what it's worth, I've been able to run and install Half-Life Blue Shift, which was already in the My Games tab from my PC account.

Just an FYI. I never managed to download a demo by clicking the install option in Steam using CrossOver. I wound up just purchasing the game I wanted using my Mac version of Firefox. I then opened Steam in Crossover and installed it from the My Games section.

I'm currently using a bottle with both Steam and Firefox installed. If there's a way to make the Install links work properly in CrossOver (I read in another thread that the nightly builds have already fixed this?), that would be great. I'd love to be able to try some demos.

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWTk0cEJTdU5WUFJlc2RQZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9