Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Message and Notices sounds

I'm running osx and in the steam client i don't hear any sounds when i get any messages or notices. Is this a know problem?

That is probably a symptom of known limitations.

There are two components to the limitation. First, the Wine Core Audio driver is a Windows wave-out driver; it doesn't currently support DirectSound natively. Second, Wine doesn't support opening a wave-out device more than once at a time, although Windows generally does.

Steam has already opened the wave-out device for some purpose; I don't know what. Then, it tries to do DirectSound output for other purposes. But DirectSound is emulated through the wave-out device. So, Wine tries to open the wave-out device a second time, which fails.

Unfortunately, there's nothing you the end user can do about it. We just have to fix one or both of those facts about Wine.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiemhXUUtmM1JaZkV6WGNuNyIsImdkcHIiOjB9