Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam doesn't save preferences + launch options

I had a crash yesterday (HL2) that forced me to restart my iMac.
When I started Steam again after that, this window appears in the left corner on the top of my screen.

Also, all my language settings and "Set launch options..." for my installed games are gone.
When I try to start a game now, a black screen appears (i can hear the game music, too) but I can't do anything.
Also when I quit Steam now, no preferences (like language or launch options) are saved anymore.

How can I solve my problems? And what were the normal crossover-HL2-launch options?

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeaver's Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

I had the same problem as you. The window would appear and preferences would not be saved. I had a black startup screen for games also.

Delete the bottle Steam is under and reinstall. I tried reinstalling just Steam or the games, but this is what finally fixed it. I know it's a pain, but it did work.

Also remember to save your files for your games. Search for how to do this for Half Life and such.

Luke

Thank you very much Luke, that solved my problem, too.
For other people with the same problem: Make sure to copy your old SteamApps Folder (~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/<bottle name>/drive_c. Within there, you will find Programs Files/Steam/steamapps) ... you can copy that folder to your fresh bottle after that... so you don't have to download all of your games again.
(see this threat for further information: klick)

Again thanks to Luke!

If only this site would have a real forum with search etc. it would be very much easier to for users to help each other. This board-system is a bit confusing...

Glad to hear you are up and running. I will close the ticket in our system.

There is a search function that will search all forum posts available here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/search/

The forum post search is the third search option.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiMmZUcUFBUEFuTjVMNEpCSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9