Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cannot start Steam...

So, I recently moved into a dormitory, and I believe that the internet connection here has Steam (As well as a number of other programs) blocked from accessing the internet. I know that this has nothing to do with Crossover, but when I try to start Steam, it is no longer giving me an option to start Steam in offline mode which is what confuses me. Just thought I'd ask here to see if there's some reason for this connected with crossover. I recently upgraded to Crossover Games 8.0 for Mac.

Thanks!

Yeah, I have this problem, too. I can open up Steam through the Internet and restart it into offline mode, and it works. But if I'm in online mode and I suddenly lose my Internet connection, Steam won't let me open anything. For some reason it's not saving my account credentials to work on my computer offline, though I think it's possible. What's up with that?

For Tony's problem, I don't think there is a problem with Crossover here. What is probably happening is that steam senses that there is an internet connection, so it doesn't offer offline mode. Even though it is blocked, it goes by the existence of an internet connection, not by being able to actively establish a game. There are programs on the internet that can hide what you're doing from traffic shaping software, and allow you to play with freedom.

For Nick, I really have no idea.

well...if its a wireless connection , disconnect from it first ...than try offline mode

and if its a wired connection...just pull the enthernet cable out :P

Steam's offline mode is quirky, but as far as I know its not related to CrossOver. Here's my personal steam offline mode cheatsheet:

Not all those steps are always necessary, but they can help avoid a few common pitfalls. Especially the first one can help a lot.

*) When online, launch every app once, to make Steam unpack its files. Steam refuses to run apps in offline mode if they have never been started, even if they're 100% downloaded.

*) Make sure that "save login information" is enabled in the Steam options

*) Restart Steam in offline mode via the menu entry. I think Steam sometimes has to prepare a few more things for offline mode to work.

*) After Steam restarted, make sure all your games run. If they don't, go back to online mode and start the failing games once, then go offline again

*) Exit Steam, disable your internet connection, and try to start Steam again

*) Note that Steam will be confused if you share one installation between Windows and CrossOver, or if you share one installation between different bottles or OSX user accounts. Offline mode will only work in one environment, if you try to start Steam elsewhere it will invalidate the ClientRegistry.blob file and you might have to go online again.

If it starts, the offline mode should be ok as long as you don't go online. If you go online, pending updates may break some games.

If the firewall silently drops any Steam data packages instead of rejecting them(e.g. DENY instead of REJECT iptables rule), Steam will try to connect for a while. Either disable the internet connection entirely, or wait for it to give up.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVEVxcGdZTEh1MmR0a3FoVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9