Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

games are downloading automatically ?

I dont know if any of u are getting this same issue. Or i dont know if it's because of the Garry's Mod game that i have installed, but for some reason there are some that came with the Counter Strike Source game (Half Life, Day of Defeat, HL Death match, etc.) are always installing each time i start Steam, and sometimes as soon as i have Steam opened the game are already installed. Is this because I have Garry's Mod installed or is this a glitch some of u are facing? thank u for the help

What games are installing all the time? I don't have Counter Stike Source installed, but I have the Overlord Pack, Secret of Monkey Island and TF2 without this problem.

I'm on Crossover Games Mac 8.1.3, MAC OS X 10.6.2 and I've tried it with the games installed and uninstalled.

The ones i already listed in parenthesis (Half-Life2: Lost Coast, HL2-Death match, TF2, DoD: S). This happens on various occasions when i start Steam, that i find them on my 'Installed' list and it's frustrating!

EDIT: I'm running CXG 8.1.4, Mac OSX 10.6.2

Sorry, your first post seemed to indicate that ALL of your Steam games was installing ALL of the times you opened it up which seems odd. I'm wondering if its an issue with 8.1.4 there are some known issues.

it does happen on various occasions, and i have to go to each unwanted game and uninstall it from steam. my MBP only has 250GB of HDD space (of which i only have 80gb left and its impacting the start-up time of Steam and its games) and each game eats up at least 3GB so it is annoying.

Understood. I don't have your games listed, but I'm pulling 8.1.4 to see if it behaves the same way for me.

Many games will be a certain percent downloaded as a result of content shared with other games. For example, if you download Half Life 2, you will have games like Counter Strike: Source, and Team Fortress 2 mostly downloaded. Delete local content for the games you do not want to install, and if all else fails back up games you do want and do a fresh install. Another thing I have noticed is that sometimes games will say installing when they actually aren't, so keep a close eye to see if its just a false message.

It seems to behave as I would expect with 8.1.4. All of the games that show as 100% - Ready for me in Steam. None of my games try to do any additional installs.

I have had the exact same problem before, but I fixed it with a clean install. So I don't really know the best way to fix it while keeping your saves. Some of my suggestions might help though.

If you're using Garry's Mod go to "Gmod Settings" and uncheck the games. Should solve your problem.

@ abeta: the games i already listed are as follows:

installed and wanted:
CS: Source
Garry's Mod
Zombie Panic: Source
L4D2

sometimes automatically installing and unwanted games:
HL: Death match
HL: Lost Coast
TF2
DoD: Source

@ Samuel: I already did delete unwanted game content like i previously stated, but they sometimes keep coming back. I'll look into backing up wanted game content and doing a fresh install of steam and the wanted games.

@ Eoin: I think that will disable the "spawnable" items from GMod itself, not installing the entire games.

Edit: already answered...

Ok i tried uninstalling Garry's Mod from my macbook pro and i'm not getting these automatic game downloads (the ones i listed in the previous posts), so it seems that what must have caused the problems. I didn't enjoy playing Garry's Mod on my macbook pro anyway, takes too damn long to load, i'll just leave these mods for my PC and the games that i actually spend countless hours on for both my macbook pro and PC.

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

1 to 14 of 14

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiU3ZHSE1XM3lhUUN6SDdtWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9