Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Most recent steam beta breaks steam

I just tried out the most recent steam beta, and it more or less broke my setup. Anybody else having this problem? This version will probably exit the beta phase in a relatively short period of time. Anybody else having this problem, or have any suggestions? In the mean time I'm just going to do a clean install.

Indeed...I just stumbled into the same thing here...I'm going the
the clean reinstall thang now...

Yeah, broke mine too. Not sure how to get it back to it's original format so I can play some games. Anyone find a solution besides completely reinstalling everything?

You can backup your steamapps folder, that way you don't have to re-download anything, except for the steam GUI.

One thing that put me off Steam for a while, was it's noticed tendency
to 'break upon update' when being used not only in CXG, but a lot of
the time this sort of thing hits windows users as well....

...knowing this, I always do the same as Samuel...everything gets the
steam based backup dump (for a newly downloaded title) even before
I actually run the game at all - this covers two boundaries, 1 - you
never need download the data again, and 2 - you've got a 'pristine'
backup that's not ever been run and had any files futzed with that
usually occurs at first time startup (or a title)...

...in this sort of case, on linux, what I do is just leave everything
be in my -working- Steam bottle collection, and move the entire contents
of my ~/cxgames and ~/.cxgames to somewhere else, do a fresh CXG install
followed by a fresh Steam GUI install and try to work out 'what happened'.
The way I figure it, if a fresh install doesn't make the Steam GUI work,
there might not be an immediate workaround...

...I'm still trying to conclude exactly where what why went woopsie...

edit: oh...I forgot to say, I already have a workaround, but it's not
much use if you haven't prepared for it...ie; I have a cxarchive here
of a base Steam installation bottle of the client version that would've
been current back in 12/09 - this bottle, is set to offline mode so I
can call on it (restore the bottle) when stuff like this happens. Then,
don't let the thing update itself, restore desperately needed gaming
experience you can't live without...or even leave the thing in offline
mode until things are all better...

Try this;

Find the following dll files (filesize given);

wbemcomn.dll (215040b)

wbemprox.dll (28150b)

Download them an toss them into your Steam bottle's drive_c/windows/system32 location

BIG FAT NOTE: Not extensively tested, probably not the best way of doing it,
Steam client seems to hang on exit...still looking at stuff 8) Only do these things
on a sacrificial steam bottle is my best advice 😉

[u]

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

Try this;

Find the following dll files (filesize given);

wbemcomn.dll (215040b)

wbemprox.dll (28150b)

Download them an toss them into your Steam bottle's
drive_c/windows/system32 location

BIG FAT NOTE: Not extensively tested, probably not the best
way of doing it,
Steam client seems to hang on exit...still looking at stuff 8) Only
do these things
on a sacrificial steam bottle is my best advice 😉

[u]

Thanks for this fix. I will test and see if anything is funky with this beta compared to the Windows version. Anything needed let me know.

EDIT: Actually all it did was update. Then it did nothing else.

It seems that a lot of people are having problems with it on Windows as well, I doubt that it's related to our problem, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

Yeah, thanks, I'm following the threads likewise....I'm seeing user32.dll flipping
a pancake that I hadn't noticed before, so that might explain it. Seeing as it's
hitting windows folks as well (again ;) it's very likely we'll see some rolling
updates from valve and the target/issue is likely to shift ...again....so like I
say, don't do this on your main steam bottle (unless you've got everything backed up)

How to clear the beta:

go to Run Command
browse to steam.exe
click Ok
then go to the end of the command line, add a space, and type "-clearbeta".
This is what the command line should look like:

"the/path/to/steam.exe" -clearbeta

then click run.
Fixed.

That fix didn't seem to of worked. It got it to update and that's all. No steam UI or anything shows up after.

Worked perfectly for me. No idea why it doesn't for you.

Might be I have different dll file versions?

Okay, I've added a tip on how to clear the beta, I've tried to make it as simple as possible.

User Deleted wrote:

Okay, I've added a tip on how to clear the beta, I've tried to make
it as simple as possible.

Hi,

And they do not work (don't even make sense actually)...ie; there is no steam in
~/cxgames/bin -- is that tip Mac specific? If so, indicate such -- if not, revise the
tip so it doesn't mislead people.

bash-3.2$ cd ~/cxgames/bin
bash-3.2$ ./steam
bash: ./steam: No such file or directory

No, It's Linux, perhaps it requires you to have an icon on the desktop for that shortcut to be there, but it worked for me :s.

I'm new to adding tips, so I'll try and revise it so it'll work 100%

Does that tip work and is it clearer?

I did what Gordon Emmerson did and it works now. You just have to restart Crossover when you finish it, otherwise Steam won't work.

I think Gordon's example should be placed as well.

Okay, will do.

Steven Capobianco wrote:

I did what Gordon Emmerson did and it works now. You just have to
restart Crossover when you finish it, otherwise Steam won't work.

I think Gordon's example should be placed as well.

I have and still no luck. Will someone link the .dll files?

User Deleted wrote:

Okay, I've added a tip on how to clear the beta, I've
tried to make it as simple as possible.

Hi,

And they do not work (don't even make sense actually)...ie; there
is no steam in
~/cxgames/bin -- is that tip Mac specific? If so, indicate such --
if not, revise the

bash-3.2$ ./steam

This depends on how you install it - if you installed it in your user account your .exes will be linked in cxgames/bin for easy retrieval, but if you install systemwide they won't be. It's not the entire bottle, it's just a link directly to the .exe you installed in a nice easily findable place.

Carl Morgan wrote:

User Deleted wrote:

Okay, I've added a tip on how to clear

the beta, I've tried to make it as simple as possible.

Hi,

And they do not work (don't even make sense actually)...ie;
there
is no steam in
~/cxgames/bin -- is that tip Mac specific? If so, indicate such --
if not, revise the

bash-3.2$ ./steam

This depends on how you install it - if you installed it in your
user account your .exes will be linked in cxgames/bin for easy
retrieval, but if you install systemwide they won't be. It's not
the entire bottle, it's just a link directly to the .exe you
installed in a nice easily findable place.

Did you not see what I typed?...ie; bash-3.2$ cd ~/cxgames/bin ....?...it is a user account
installation I'm working with. I suspect I do not get the link to Steam here due to the fact
I have multiple Steam bottles in my account (staging/testing/working) and at any time I may
blow one of them away, move one out of the way, or anything like this...and the link goes
bye-bye -- that said, James' revised tip removes this operational quirk to the background, and
should work to disable beta participation...if it doesn't work (and this can happen), the
following command issued in a shell/xterm seems to work 100% ;

~/cxgames/bin/wine --bottle [bottle_name] Steam.exe -clearbeta

Both

and

./cxgames/bin/wine --bottle [bottle_name] Steam.exe -clearbeta

Don't work for me and I get this error:

winewrapper.exe:error: cannot execute L"Steam.exe -clearbeta"

Indeed I didn't really realise you'd included a ~/. All I saw when I skimmed over the email was "Is it Mac specific" and I assumed you didn't know about the behaviour of the program.

User Deleted wrote:

Both

and

./cxgames/bin/wine --bottle [bottle_name] Steam.exe -clearbeta

Don't work for me and I get this error:

winewrapper.exe:error: cannot execute L"Steam.exe -clearbeta"

My error, sorry...;

cd "~/.cxgames/[bottlename]/drive_c/Program Files/Steam"

(where [bottle_name] is the name of your Steam bottle ;)

@James - your tip is fine now btw, what is weird is that it sometimes doesn't seem
to work here when invoked using the 'Run' command from configure->control panel ..
..which is strange, it should work....I'm trying to deduce exactly why this is,
but your tip is correct. The above two lines are almost commandline equivalent
to using the cxsetup GUI route,,,but, like, lessons learnt - expect weirdness when
Steam does something like this....

@everyone else watching -- I think my spider sense is tingling and saying make sure
you backup all your steamapps so they're nice and safe. If this shift in the beta
client to utilizing webkit (wbem.dll) is a precursor of things to come, (and we'll
have to guess that it is), the future client update (when it arrives)
may* give us
grief all over again...

Cheers!

Works perfectly for me, good job.

Will someone post the link's to the .dll's for this new beta to work.

Stilkdog wrote:

Will someone post the link's to the .dll's for this new beta to
work.

I would sit and wait on that front -- I've had fam running in the background, and it
appears the various files related to the beta client are still in some state of flux.

The unsupported CXG 8.2 release seems to hate it a lot ; things have changed since I posted
the wbem*.dll workaround, and I don't think that approach is working anymore...

FWIW, there's a bit of overlap here....ie; the only reason I've been running the beta client,
was due to some connection issues with Source games -- not only was the Steam beta client
updated recently, the standard Steam client has also seen a couple of updates. I'm not seeing
the same connection issues any more with the standard Steam client, so I'm leaving the beta
client alone for now...

Apparently Steam may be coming to Mac

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/02/26/valves-steam-coming-to-mac-os-x/

Alex

That would be so awesome!

Edit: And I love the phrase you have under your name, how many people actually get that?

FYI, if you launch winecfg, and set your Windows version to 7, the GUI will display properly.

This may cause issues with some of the games, not sure yet.

only saw Windows 2008?? or Vista

Ryan wrote:

only saw Windows 2008?? or Vista

Upgrade to the "Unsupported" Games build. Win7 support was added there, and will also be in CXGames 9.0.

Works fine if you pick 'Vista'.

yep, steam be moving 2 macs, so we can all have a mega party on our macs... wonder if they'll do linux as well... valve would be renowned for doing something like that, covering all OS'...

either way...

With Source doing OpenGL, rumours of Steam supposedly coming to Linux (link) and Postal 3 running Source and coming to Linux. I'm sure they will soonish.

Lets see how long it takes for them to release Steam on OS X.

Richy K. wrote:

With Source doing OpenGL, rumours of Steam supposedly coming to
Linux
(link)
and
[link=http://omgpcgames.com/index.php/interviews/33-computer/45-postal-iii-interview-with-running-with-scissors]Postal
3[/link] running Source and coming to Linux. I'm sure they will
soonish.

Lets see how long it takes for them to release Steam on OS X.

Steam is coming to the OS X. Linux is in question right now, but I have a feeling they may support it by the end of the year with them making Source work with OpenGL. I like OpenGL, just some video cards don't get support for it anymore, mostly older cards when moving to newer OS's. It's not a big problem, but I'm sure some people are going to be mad about it.

3 things!

1: The Steam beta works in CrossOver if you first install steam normally and then in the Wine config set it to Windows Vista or 7
2: Yes we should all have a big mac steam party
3: I doubt Valve with officially support Linux since it is not a retailed OS. However the fact that It's on the mac will make it easy for you linuxers to use since Macs and Linux are both based on UNIX. Brothers under the hood if you will...

The new Steam UI will release to all users April 26th. I've archived my bottles into offline mode as well as updated to the most recent beta. Hopefully I won't have to restore to the offline version come next Monday :)

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3726/

I had to install 9.0 beta 4 (in Unsupported Builds) to get the new UI to work. However I just put it in a new winxp bottle, no need to use winecfg at all, then copied the steamapps folder across into new bottle.

The only significant issues:

• OK/cancel don't work within the Steam UI - can't close dialog boxes at all without closing Steam via File | Exit

• the CXG Manage Bottles app had difficulty scanning my existing 20GB winxp bottle - it spent hours saying 'initialising' and eventually I gave up. Since I only needed the steamapps folder form this bottle, it wasn't a problem.

Overall, everything works well despite Steam breaking the CXG 8.x version - great job by the Codeweavers team!

1 to 40 of 40

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUHByTm1lWnNmMkJNWFloVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9