Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam Windows UI beta, anyone tried it yet?

Just wondering if anyone has ventured to install the Steam UI beta yet? granted it becomes mandatory monday

Yes, and it semi works with the unsupported build of CrossOver Games.

It has been a bit troublesome with unsupported build thus far but I haven't yet tried with the new beta. Been a busy weekend, otherwise I would have a comment to give already. :)

Has anyone tried this more recently? I have two issues, one minor and one slightly more annoying:

Minor issue: Running in Ubuntu 10.04 with Crossover Games 9.1.0 Steam works almost flawlessly except when moving windows. If I do an alt+drag on a Steam window it will move properly, but if I try to drag the window with just the left mouse button it will often disappear off of my screen. If I click the title bar of a Steam window it begins following my cursor until I click again, at which point it tends to disappear as well.

Annoying one: Browsing the Steam store, community, or anything else in the Webkit browser seems to intermittently cause all Steam windows to freeze while a page loads. This is especially true on any page with a video (more and more games have trailers popping up) as well as when I go ahead and purchase a game (only tested with credit card purchase, not sure if it makes a difference). The freeze can last anywhere from 1-30 seconds depending on what exactly is on the page I'm loading (videos freeze longer than the payment page, and the main store page with the slideshow freezes less than a video but more than the payment page).

We are aware of a bug with windows sticking to your cursor when you try to move them. I'm not aware of an issue where the windows disappear. If you are using multiple desktops, they may have moved to another desktop. Alternatively, your window manager may have done something odd to them.

With respect to the Steam store, we recommend using your web browser to access it. You can make purchases through there and they will be available for download when you run the Steam GUI. (Not that we're ignoring issues with the Steam store, but we acknowledge that they exist and there's a good workaround.)

Ken Thomases wrote:

We are aware of a bug with windows sticking to your cursor when you
try to move them. I'm not aware of an issue where the windows
disappear. If you are using multiple desktops, they may have moved
to another desktop. Alternatively, your window manager may have
done something odd to them.

If I click the window's titlebar it will follow my mouse around, but if I hold mouse1 and drag the window, then release the mouse button, it will often disappear off-screen. At this point, the window is still following my mouse movement, so I am able to recover it about half the time by moving my mouse all the way to the left or right of the screen as the window will find its way back into my display. Other times I am able to recover the window by right clicking it in the Gnome taskbar and choosing move, and I would say about 5-10% of the time the window actually closes altogether if it goes off-screen.

I have been able to kind of work around the issue by changing my bottle to Windows Vista or 7 as this will place the Gnome titlebar on every Steam window. It doesn't look as nice, but I am able to drag windows by the new titlebar without this behavior.

Ken Thomases wrote:

With respect to the Steam store, we recommend using your web browser
to access it. You can make purchases through there and they will be
available for download when you run the Steam GUI. (Not that we're
ignoring issues with the Steam store, but we acknowledge that they
exist and there's a good workaround.)

I never thought to check whether I could log into the store through a normal browser. Thanks for the suggestion, that will make life a lot easier.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWGtlQUdldnF2ZW1oUEFzUCIsImdkcHIiOjB9