Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam dropping Win2k support soon; Solution?

Logged into my Steam account to download Alien Swarm today and got presented with a pop-up saying Steam is dropping Windows 2k support soon. Has anyone tested Steam in a WinXP bottle? If it works, do we have to reinstall in a XP bottle? I'd rather just change the bottle to XP or copy the Steam directory/folder to one of my XP bottles then do a fresh reinstall and re-download all my games.

The default bottle type for installing Steam has been winxp for some time, so, yes, it works. 😊

You can probably get away with just changing the Windows version of the bottle via winecfg.

You can also install Steam fresh into a new bottle without having to re-download your games. Once you've logged into Steam once and exited, just move the "drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps" directory from the old bottle to the new one. (Another technique is to move the steamapps directory out of your bottles altogether and just create a symbolic link to it in your Steam bottle. That way you can blow away your bottle at any time without losing your games.)

For whatever reason, Steam is in a Win2k bottle. Not sure how it happened but haven't worried about it until now.

Thanks for the heads up about copying the games to the new bottle. Wasn't sure if Steam would freak out or not if I did it.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ016VG1YcXN5U3BxaENMTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9