Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

[Solved] Steam launches but...

Hello everyone!

The installation worked just fine, everything went, aparently, pretty well and smooth. Then after installing it the steam asks for my login/password. Ok until then. Whenever I logged, the window is closed (this behavior is the same on windows, but on windows it goes to the systray) and I can`t find it on my X.

I know the proccess is still running because whenever I top, it shows Steam is currently running. So I really dont know what should I do.

I`m running Slackware 64 13.1 with xfce4.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Gui,

Can you try running the bottle as 2000, Vista, and 7?

What video driver are you using?

Vive la xfce!

Also, can you post the result of uname -r?

Hey, thanks for the reply!

uname -r

sure, Ill try to reinstall it using 2000 or vista and Ill post here asap.

Update: Sometimes it crashes instead of blinking away. So I really don`t know what is happening.

Update 2: Ops, forgot to tell you. My vga is a NVidia 8800gt (already installed nvidia`s driver also)

Update 3: After logged (winvista), it aparently bugs/crashes: image

Update 4: I realize the systray do works on the xfce (left side of desktop windows) as you can see on this screenshot: image

Update 5: Its working indeed! Win2000 it is. But theres a problem (or not): image

Thanks a lot!

Hey Gui,

There should be a way to switch bottles without reinstalling. (But I definitely could be wrong here; I've never done it before.)

That message should go away if you run it in Windows 7 or Vista.

Glad I could help!

bladebot wrote:

That message should go away if you run it in Windows 7 or Vista.

The only working bottle was win2k. Ive downloaded the last cxgames today, so idk much about it also. Im just clicking around and trying to make it work haha
(:

Ah. Well, good luck!

Just checking... if I want to install a game on my Steam`s Library should I create another bottle for it or should I just install via Steam?

Just install via Steam.

bladebot wrote:

Just install via Steam.

Thanks!

Do you have experience in other games too, bladebot? The other forums looks like a big desert. ):

No problem!

I'm currently helping with Steam, Left 4 Dead 2, and Altitude. Do you need help with a specific game?

Left 4 Dead 2 and World of Warcraft, definitely! :D

I have the files for both games on my windows partition and I dont think I would need to download the files: 1) Since Im installing games thru Steam, l4d2, tf2, etc should work with a single symbolic lynk I assume?
2) World of Warcraft does not need an installation, all I need is just copy (or symbolic lynk) the directory from my windows partition and had to work, right?

But how do I manage bottles and tell cxgames I have them installed already (mainly wow, l4d2 isn`t the biggest problem atm) or even the symbolic link?

Should I do something? I really don`t know what to do to procceed the fake install of world of warcraft.

Thanks!

Update: I made a winvista bottle called "wow" and then I closed cxgames. Right after I ran:
cd ~/.cxgames/wow/drive_c/Program\ Files/
ln -s /mnt/my/win/partition/path-to-wow-directory .
cd /opt/cxgames/bin
./cxrun ~/.cxgames/wow/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/Wow.exe

It didnt do anything. My terminal was "stuck" and none errors were shown or even messages or dialogs or anything. The proccess kept running until I ctrl+cd it.
Screenshot: image

Update 2: I realized that the Wow.exe proccess was still running even after ctrl+c`d via terminal: image

And also, the game Team Fortress 2 doesnt run I dont know why: image

Update 3: Now, after the TF2 error, my steam crashes everytime I try to log in, again. ):

You could do something similar to that in Linux, but unfortunately, Windows has the Windows Registry. So you'll have to install the programs on your Linux first to get the necessary Registry entries and then link them to the Windows counterparts (backing up or deleting the Linux originals -- don't uninstall as that will destroy registry entries).

This goes without saying, but because of the Registry (an evil, evil thing), things might break regardless of how careful you are.

You'll also run into a problem with the fact you're running Slackware; this distro has had a less-than-awesome history with Wine/CrossOver. I don't know why, but somebody more knowledgeable than me might.

Can you run Steam with logging turned on? I think this involves running the "Run a Windows Command" program. Then post the log file, which is located, uh, somewhere in ~/.cxgames. I don't know where, exactly.

Gui wrote:

Just checking... if I want to install a game on my Steam`s Library
should I create another bottle for it or should I just install via
Steam?

Hi, Gui,

What I like to do is to create a Steam bottle with zero games. Then I create copies of that bottle as needed. For example, both my Monkey Island Special Edition, and Monkey Island 2 SE bottles started as a copy of the empty Steam bottle. However, I do have an "indie" bottle with a bunch of smaller games together (Audiosurf, Braid, Mr. Robot, etc.).

Maybe I'm being excessively cautious, but it works for me.

That's a good idea.

Me, I just put everything into one bottle. It doesn't take too long to reinstall stuff if necessary and, luckily, I've never had to.

I think the question was whether a bottle each was needed for Steam, TF2, L4D2, etc. That's how I took it, at least.

Hello, Gui.

I have a boatload of Steam games that I have, and all but four work in linux, and only two are such a PITA that they don't run on my system. All are installed into the same bottle. I don't have issues with them. Use the C2P or the "Install Windows Software" app to get the Stream client installed.

HTH.
Welcome to Crossover!
Andrew.

Thanks for the answers!

Well, I really got my Steam running smoothly and it was great. But after I tried to run Super Meat Boy (first error) and Team Fortress 2 (second error - both installed via steams library), I couldnt launch Steam.exe anymore. I tried A LOT and also reinstalled it so many times (at least 1 time for each windows version bottle) and still didnt work. I had to take some break and Im going to try to delete everything and reinstall it again by now.

You said about registers but Ive read some people could simply symlink the directory (steam games and wow) and should work. But yeah, my linux knowledge is not that quite high so I dont know exactly how to do that. Ive tried earlier to run with a log option (all options marked) but it wasnt really writing the file because the steam itself was crashing and also the cxgamer was acting weird.

The only software that is working fine its Ventrilo (altough I cant use my push-to-talk button when Ventrilo is not the focus window).

Im going to run some tests by now and Id update this thread.

Thanks again all of you!

All deleted and reinstalled via win2000 bottle (which was the only one that worked before), but...

bladebot wrote:

Can you run Steam with logging turned on? I think this involves
running the "Run a Windows Command" program.

logs (winxp, win2000, winvista)

Am I doing it right?

Hi,

Firstly, be aware of the following issue -- I am unsure how many titles are
affected all told (apparently mann co store is busted by it as well);

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3379;forum=1;msg=94218

Secondly, run the following command and post back the output;

/opt/cxgames/bin/cxdiag

Cheers!

Start small -- get things working properly, then make a backup, and then play around with links. :D I would personally first try linking the steamapps directory, not the entire Steam directory.

Mangler is supposed to be a Linux-native alternative to the Ventrilo client if you can't get your friends to move from the Ventrilo protocol. Anyways, the push-to-talk button will only work when the program with focus is in the same bottle as Ventrilo.

Hey, if it worked the first time you installed it, then it'll probably work when you force quit the bottle, uninstall everything, then try again with the settings that worked.

I'm actually trying with Super Meat Boy right now too. Once it crashed, I couldn't get it to run the second time. Odd.

I updated the log files with a link to pastebin on the other post.

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

Hi,

Firstly, be aware of the following issue -- I am unsure how many
titles are
affected all told (apparently mann co store is busted by it as
well);

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=3379;forum=1;msg=94218

Secondly, run the following command and post back the output;

/opt/cxgames/bin/cxdiag

> Cheers!

I`ll check that link. Thanks! But I believe the main problem right now is running Steam again lol

There you go!  
![image](http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7214/cxdiag.png)

> [**bladebot wrote:**](/profile?id=341935)
> ---
> Start small -- get things working properly, then make a backup, and
> **then** play around with links. :D  I would personally first try
> linking the steamapps directory, not the entire Steam directory.

> [Mangler](http://www.mangler.org/) is supposed to be a
> Linux-native alternative to the Ventrilo client if you can't get
> your friends to move from the Ventrilo protocol.  Anyways, the
> push-to-talk button will only work when the program with focus is in
> the same bottle as Ventrilo.

> Hey, if it worked the first time you installed it, then it'll
> probably work when you force quit the bottle, uninstall everything,
> then try again with the settings that worked.

> I'm actually trying with Super Meat Boy right now too.  Once it
> crashed, I couldn't get it to run the second time.  Odd.

We`ll be moving from Ventrilo soon anyway, it was just a comment that its working indeed.

I can`t reproduce what I did earlier to run Steam. It just doesn`t run I don`t know why yet. I`ve already forced quit every single bottle, removed, then made again and reinstalled Steam but it just doesn`t run.

Sometimes my Steam freezes before opening the big window (while on Connecting with the Cancel button aside) and sometimes it closes.

Thanks.

debug log (Steam installation w/ win2000 bottle)

When I log on steam for the first time, it shows a message with a progression bar like if its validating steam files or something like that. And whenever it get onto 99~100% it freezes... Im going to reinstall so I can screenshot that an place it here.

image (pushing stop button causes that message also)

Hi again,

Something's seriously amiss with the Crossover installation - it
definitely should not hit a seg_fault like shown in your
screenshot....you might try ;

/opt/cxgames/bin/cxdiag --debug

...and see if that discloses something more...but something weird
is going on --

bash-3.2$~/cxgames/bin/cxdiag --debug
libaudio.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibAudio]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libaudio.so.2 library"
"Description"="This is needed if you want the Windows applications to send sound to a NAS sound server. If you already have Alsa or OSS, then you will not need it."

libcapi20.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibCapi20]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcapi20.so.3 library"
"Description"="Provides support for some ISDN cards. Very few applications need this."

libesd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibEsd]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libesd.so.0 library"
"Description"="This is only needed if you want the Windows applications to send sound to an ESounD sound server. This method has a high latency and is not suitable for games."

libgsm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibGsm]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libgsm.so.1 library"
"Description"="Lets Windows applications use the GSM codec for audio compression and decompression."

libtiff.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[MissingLibTiff]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libtiff.so.4 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some applications that need to manipulate TIFF images in their user interface."

found libcrypto.so.0.9.8
found libssl.so.0.9.8
egrep 'hosts:.*mdns4' /etc/nsswitch.conf >/dev/null 2>&1 returned 256
default screen=0, planes=24
OpenGL vendor = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
OpenGL version = '3.3.0 NVIDIA 260.19.21'
NVIDIA version 260.19

That is more or less what one should expect to see as the output of the above command.

...actually, now that I think about it some, how did you end up with a
Crossover installation in /opt? ...ie; did you use the shell (.sh)
installer for Crossover ..or...?...

Great point, Don. Only the CrossOver Games Generic Installer is supposed to work with Slackware, and it's supposed to be a user install, not system wide.

Hopefully this is what your problem is.

Remove CrossOver completely and reinstall using the Generic Installer. (Install as 'gui', not 'root'.)

Hmmm, I got your point and it makes more sense now to me.

I did installed the generic installer but since my Slackware copy is x64 I had to make it multilib and right after running all those steps I forgot to quit root and probably installed as root. Which was my mistake then.

./cxdiag --debug

Still seg fault. Hmm.

Thanks Don and Bladebot, Im going to run some of these tests again. Hopefully itll work now :D

After reinstalling, the first thing Ive tried was to install Steam and same thing happened (while updating steam platform files it freezes, and if I try to run again, itll still freezes right when he tries to start this update):

I`ve tried the ./cxdiag and also with a --debug parameter (still seg fault):

Where all the files are located when you have a clean install of cxgames? There was no /opt/cxgames anymore and also there was no ~/.cxgames anymore. So I wonder how does cxgames knew even after I uninstalled it (via root - and also asked to delete all bottles) that I had Ventrilo installed before? When I was choosing the Steam bottle, there was a Ventrilo bottle already.

Weird... something didn`t uninstall quite well aparently. Gonna re-do tests.

Update 1: Reinstalled again and it seems to be a real fresh copy of cxgames, but this time I downloaded a new steam installer from the website just to check and again, seg fault on cxdiag and freezing while updating steam files: image
I guess I will be able to make it only after installing another linux distro :P
But the weird thing is: I was able to run Steam yesterday just fine, everything working smoothly. I also downloaded VVVVVV and played (took ss of both and uploaded to the codeweavers website too) and now after some crashes, nothing happens again ><

Hey Gui,

There are quite a few things that confuse me about your posts. Personally, I think you should just try Ubuntu and skip all this trouble. XD Things can get difficult without a package manager system.

Try backing up your home folder (/home/gui) to an external device and installing from a Live Desktop CD. If you tell the Ubuntu installer to not partition your disk, it'll leave your home folder intact, but it's easier to simply back up your folder and do a clean install.

Okay, CrossOver Games normally installs to ~/cxgames and installs its config files in ~/.cxgames.

Slackware has a package manager system... Just that it doesnt handle dependancies by default IIRC..

I was just wondering .. if GUI has installed all the required 32 bit libraries..and not missed out any..

bladebot wrote:

Hey Gui,

There are quite a few things that confuse me about your posts.
Personally, I think you should just try Ubuntu and skip all this
trouble. XD Things can get difficult without a package manager
system.

Try backing up your home folder (/home/gui) to an external device
and installing from a Live Desktop CD. If you tell the Ubuntu
installer to not partition your disk, it'll leave your home folder
intact, but it's easier to simply back up your folder and do a clean
install.

Okay, CrossOver Games normally installs to ~/cxgames and installs
its config files in ~/.cxgames.

Youre right, Im probably changing to debian tonight and see what happens. At least I can say we made it (somehow) work on Slackware 64 13.1 for whoever needs someday and I hope the person who try it had more knowledge than me and didn`t need a distro change. hahah :D

I double checked those directories before trying to run install again and they weren`t there.

Sam! wrote:

Slackware has a package manager system... Just that it doesnt handle
dependancies by default IIRC..

I was just wondering .. if GUI has installed all the required 32 bit
libraries..and not missed out any..

Yes I did. I made a full installation and I checked the requirements too after I changed it to multilib.

As soon as I distro change, I`m going to try to install it and going to be back here on this thread to report anything. Thanks again, a lot!

Gui: Awesome! Let us know how it goes.

Sam!: Oh, good to know; thanks.

bladebot wrote:

Gui: Awesome! Let us know how it goes.

After a default debian current installation using gnome, here is the result:

You must be wondering why didnt I do this before but I really wanted to make it works on Slackware haha :D I still didnt install nvidia`s driver.

Next step: tf2 + wow. haha

I'm glad to hear it!

If I may ask, why did you choose Debian over Ubuntu?

Let me know how the other games go!

Cheers,
bladebot

1 to 33 of 33

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWmJjd3ZSNmZYdlM1ZVNlSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9