Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

progress

Wine is making progress. On an internal build I tested I was able in install and use the Steam GUI. There are currently random lock-ups, but overall it is becomming useable.

Next I'll test some games under Steam, and see if they actually come up.

If this improves by the time we release 3.1, then I will move this up to honorable mention.

So, new release (4.0) is out, have things improved? I know Valve has been patching steam a lot recently, and it seems like they're making a perpetual effort to break Linux compatibility, but if I can play Half Life through Steam in the new version I'm definately buying a copy.

Even if I have to install Internet Explorer first...

Steam is getting better and better under CrossOver. I've been playing all the Half-Life engine (not Source) games and they all run great under CO 4.0. There still are random lock-ups with Steam itself. Mainly in dialog windows that load a web page, i.e. the store part. There isn't any chance of Half-Life 2 working soon. Maybe for CrossOver 5.0. We'll see.

steam installs beautifully.
icon on the desktop and everything.however,actual competitive gamplay is impossible at this time.

current specs of my "XANDBOX"
some type of HP mobo
800mhz celeron
256mb sdram
64mb nvidia gforce 5200
realtek semiconductor 10/100 ethernet

im not going to waste time right now with posting logs and errors,but i will keep tweaking with my current hardware configuration.

i plan to upgrade my game box soon,which will allow me to set up a linux box with
1.8 gig P4
1 gig ddr
256mb nvidia gforce

maybe by then,with the new hardaware,and the new version of xover,actual game play will be a reality.

Anonymous

You can do the following... they worked great under Cedega, I don't see why not it would not work under CXOffice. (NOTE: my gaming rig was borked, and I threw it away, so when I say I played it. I mean I played it, until the trajedy happened.) Google low polygon models for CS, if you have an nvidia card, look for nvopengl.dll and put it in /Valve/Steam/SteamApss/yourname@whatever.com/counter-strike/gldrv, change the only document in there to read...

Default Default
gldrv/nvopengl.dll

... then run in a different, much lower memory consuming window environment, and if you want to (this does make a difference) run in a lower desktop resolution. The desktop itself, not CS, it makes a difference, so does the color depth. This next part worked wonders when I played CS 1.5 on Wine, I totaly forgot about it when I played it under Cedega, go to your bios and decrease your video ram to half or less of what it should be. I saw on my Celeron 2.0ghz, 512 megs of ram, and a GeForce 2 MX 200 64 meg, go from something like 25-50fps to 35-99fps. But then I got a new box and it was an AMD Athlon XP 2500+, 512 megs of 3200 ram (running at 2700 because of Proc?) a GeForce FX 5500 256. Ok whatever. Anyways now in CS itself, or any game for that matter, go into console and do the following. Type ati then tab. There should be 2 ati statements, put them both to zero since they just make models look prettier on Windows driver based ATI cards. Then in console type r_mmx 1, which turns on the mulitmedia processor extension found in new processors (disabled by default for some reason), there's more graphic commands, but I don't feel like searching for them at the moment, if I have time later on I'll reply them on here. Ok, now for the internet, go onto the steam screen where it says play games, news, whatever. Click on settings, and go to internet, make it so it is your net connection or similar. Now go into any game, and then go into the console. Type the following.. rate 25000, cl_rate 20000 25000, cl_cmdrate 65, cl_cmdupdatarate 65. Theres more, alot more, but there not coming to my head, when they do I'll post them here. Hope this helps!

Anonymous

Hey does anyone know if Source only supports ATI cards or will it work with a Gforce?

ThankZ

-Da Sno0gster

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYjV3TTZ2Q3JwU0VYQlJubiIsImdkcHIiOjB9