Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam only loads if I "repair" it?

I'm running osX 10.5.3 on a new iMac with 8800 GS.. Crossover games (latest final release and recently tried the nightlies with a fresh install)

When I try loading Steam from the programs menu (or any Steam game!) it appears for less than a second in the dock, then dissapears. If I go into "manage bottles" and "repair" it though it works perfectly..

Seems a bit of a strange procedure to have to go through every time I load Steam. :) It doesnt seem to have left an error in the console. Is there anything i can check, or change? Is this happening to anyone else too?

Hmm. The symptom you describe (except the business about repairing -- that's new to me) matches what we've seen if you have certain third-party software installed, like "haxies" or input managers. In particular, the Logitech Control Center is a common cause of this problem. Such programs can often be ill-behaved and they interfere with other software on your system. In our case, for example, LCC prevents programs from launching using their entries in the Programs menu or the launcher mini-applications in the Finder. Running the same program using the Run Command dialog will work.

Ahh, thankyou. :) I've tried removing LCC and its still doing it, so i suspect it's my Wacom drivers, which I can't really live without, so I'll use the run command from now on. (which definitely works, thanks for that!)

Can i string together some other sort of script-icon things for games i use frequently?

Hmm. I would be surprised if the issue is your Wacom drivers. I have a much better impression of the quality of their driver software (second-hand impression; I don't have direct experience with it).

Regarding writing a script, yes that's possible. I don't know the level of your technical skill. You can write a script based on the result of clicking the Open Shell button in the Debug Options section of the Run Command dialog. When you click that button, CrossOver Games opens a window in Terminal and configures it for running commands. Mostly, it sets up environment variables. You can replicate that set-up in a script. After that setup, you can have the script run a Windows program with something like: wine /path/to/some/program.exe

To turn the script into a double-clickable icon, you can use a third-party freeware tool called Platypus.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZnJzR0tRQUtjYVo1U1ltdCIsImdkcHIiOjB9