Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Game Shortcuts

Is it possible to make a desktop shortcut straight to a Steam game like in windows, or do I have to go Crossover Games -> Steam -> Game (portal, hl2, etc) every time?

If not, is there at least some way I can play my single player steam games w/o an internet connection? i've tried to log on to Steam in offline mode but it never works.

Thanks in advance

Once the game is installed, make sure the shortcut is in the Programs menu; then go to your home folder, Applications/Crossover Games/Steam/ and there should be an app you can run (this works in Mac OS X at least; not sure if a similar function exists in Linux).

Not sure about offline mode; it seems to work fine for me by restarting in offline mode, then when Steam restarts; unhooking the 'net connection.

how do i put a shortcut to a steam game in the programs menu?

If they weren't created when you installed the game -- Go Programs, Run Command... then enter

"~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/<steam bottle name>/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe" -applaunch <gameid> -login <username> <password>

Replacing <steam bottle name> with the name of your steam bottle, <gameid> with the id of the game, <username> and <password> with your steam user and pass. There's a list of IDs at http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_Application_IDs

Finally, click "Save command to programs menu".

Jack Bosha wrote:

how do i put a short to a steam game in the programs menu?

There's a Steam option to make steam create a shortcut

Regarding the offline mode, this is a usual complaint about Steam. I recommend you to read the Steam docs about how to get offline mode running properly.

This is my checklist regarding offline mode problems:
-> Make sure all your installed games are fully downloaded
-> Make sure all your games are set to auto-update(right click, properties)
-> Make sure you have started all your games at lease once
-> Set the Steam language to english, default Steam skin
-> Use the "go offline" menu point
-> Exit steam, disconnect your internet connection, run steam again
-> Once you've run Steam again in Online mode, and offline mode is broken, re-run through the whole list

It's a pain, and I think a major complaint about Steam. For some people offline mode works really well, for others it is awful. If you keep having problems with it, you may want to contact Steam support.

Bob Watson wrote:

If they weren't created when you installed the game -- Go Programs,
Run Command... then enter

"~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/<steam bottle
name>/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe" -applaunch <gameid>
-login <username> <password>

Replacing <steam bottle name> with the name of your steam bottle,
<gameid> with the id of the game, <username> and <password> with
your steam user and pass. There's a list of IDs at
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_Application_IDs

Finally, click "Save command to programs menu".

The script wasn't working for me, so I made desktop shortcuts within Steam, found my Windows desktop and made shortcuts from there to my Mac desktop, thanks for the help.

Another question: what if I'm playing a game, and my internet connection dies, and I reboot steam; is there any way I can play, even a single player game? What I mean is: can I open Steam in offline mode if my internet dies unexpectedly?

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM1d3WVlZWVZieEdKeFUydSIsImdkcHIiOjB9