Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Issues loading

It helps to know I am running ubuntu 8.04 with a nVidia GO 6800 (256MB) video.

As of the recent update, to Linux Games 7.1.0 steam won't load properly. When I click on the Steam GUI from my menu, I see the icon docked in my task tray, I can even click on it to bring up the drop down menu, but any attempts to get into steam GUI are met with failure. When this happens if I force kill the application I get a glimpse of the login screen for a brief second, sometimes when I load it I can see it for a second too before it disappears.

Looks like steam is loading and trying to display the steam login window, but for some reason that window simply does not remain vsisible.

So far I have tried to repair, uninstall/reinstall steam GUI. Even deleted and recreated the bottle without any improvement. I will play more tonight with some of the graphical settings and report here if I can get it working. Any other insight would be appreciated though :)

Clifford M. Roche wrote:

It helps to know I am running ubuntu 8.04 with a nVidia GO 6800
(256MB) video.

As of the recent update, to Linux Games 7.1.0 steam won't load
properly. When I click on the Steam GUI from my menu, I see the icon
docked in my task tray, I can even click on it to bring up the drop
down menu, but any attempts to get into steam GUI are met with
failure. When this happens if I force kill the application I get a
glimpse of the login screen for a brief second, sometimes when I
load it I can see it for a second too before it disappears.

Looks like steam is loading and trying to display the steam login
window, but for some reason that window simply does not remain
vsisible.

So far I have tried to repair, uninstall/reinstall steam GUI. Even
deleted and recreated the bottle without any improvement. I will
play more tonight with some of the graphical settings and report
here if I can get it working. Any other insight would be appreciated
though :)

Any update on this. I am encountering the exact same problem...

I am afraid we broke Steam when Compiz is in use. Disabling 3D desktop effects should work around the problem. We're still investigating the problem.

Sweet :) Gotta love it when stuff just breaks on you.

Well I look forward to the next version of CX Games I supposed. Keep up the good work.

Anyway, let me know when there is a nightly build with a fix and I will regress test the bug for you.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ3dyYk40N1Z6YVIzWW5hSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9