Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Files on desktop

I am using Ubuntu 9.0.4 linux and when I install steam it is just filling up my desktop with all kinds of files. I can't seem to figure out how to get steam to save them elsewhere. Thanks for any advice.

Steam creates Shortcuts for games on the Desktop. CrossOver should replace the Windows .lnk files with Ubuntu compatible shortcuts that call CrossOver to tell Steam to start the game. You can tell Steam not to create Desktop shortcuts in the Steam options.

If you think there are other files causing issues, please list the filenames, maybe they can give a hint.

It is literally placing all files (what would be in the "Program Files" folder in windows) on my desktop. I have deleted them, but if you think the specific names will help, I can reinstall steam. There were about 15 of them.

That seems odd. They should go somewhere into ~/.cxgames, not your desktop. Did you select a different install path in the Steam setup?

It turns out that if I put the steam.exe into a folder and install it with crossover from there, then all the dll's will stay in that folder and not be placed all over my desktop.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTEpScVo3cFN1a2JQN0NMVCIsImdkcHIiOjB9