Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Holiday Content Breaking Steam

Has anyone noticed that the recent holiday update to the steam store is making the Steam GUI almost impossible to use?

Samuel Bell wrote:

Has anyone noticed that the recent holiday update to the steam store
is making the Steam GUI almost impossible to use?

Yeah I've seen it commented on a number of forums as well.

I've had some success if you switch to the games list before the steam store fully loads, but its still pretty difficult.

Assuming you can get in once, you can make the Games list the preferred view in Steam's settings.

I just use my system browser for the store -- purchases etc show up
in the Steam client just as they should -- I only use the 'games tab'
in the Steam client -- this is my current workaround...clicking on
the games tab as soon as it's presented..

Cheers!

Having now looked at the problem, it seems there's some weird issue with focus or mouse capture. If you click on most any element of the Steam UI outside of the store, the click is ignored. However, you can click on elements in the store and then suddenly your other clicks take effect. So, you can click on the My Games tab (which won't do anything) and then click on a flash animation in the store. Then your click on My Games will take effect and you'll switch, getting you out of the trap.

It's like a little game! 😉

I also only use the steam store through my browser, but this holiday offer has a number of delightful pop-ups to tell me about deals that are slowing me down. I'm going to try setting the games list to be my preferred view.

I'll try playing the click the tab game as well, thanks.

Ken Thomases wrote:

Having now looked at the problem, it seems there's some weird issue
with focus or mouse capture. If you click on most any element of
the Steam UI outside of the store, the click is ignored. However,
you can click on elements in the store and then suddenly your other
clicks take effect. So, you can click on the My Games tab (which
won't do anything) and then click on a flash animation in the store.
Then your click on My Games will take effect and you'll switch,
getting you out of the trap.

It's like a little game! 😉

Yeah, and it's really annoying :) Even without the holiday day update the front page (i.e. Flash enabled content) was causing this issue for me. I'm hopeful you guys can come up with a fix? It makes using almost everything but the "My Games" tab unusable. Even scrolling down doesn't work anymore :( It just zip you right back to the top.

I haven't encountered the issue and I've used Steam constantly for the last 4 days including today with no issues. But i took what some of u have said into account and set my favorite tab to show the 'My Games' tab at start-up so I'm good there.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUW1aRkNKOXBndXI4ejNrOCIsImdkcHIiOjB9