Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam slowness

Steam often is so extremely slow, to the point that I can easily go downstairs, make myself acup of tea, come back, and see that it still didn't manage to log in and display the main screen. By then fifteen minutes have passed. Am I the only one who has this kind of extreme slowness?

For the record: I'm on an iMac running Mac OS 10.4.11 with 1.83 gHz and 1.5 GB RAM. Also, usually Steam will eventually be running, but it will stay slow in responding to buttons, scrolling through windows and all that. I can launch all my games and play them with great stability, but until I actually play them, Steam is very slow. Mind you, the games run in a speed I'd say is just about the same as I would be seeing on a normal PC!

It is a known issue with CrossOver that Steam is very slow to launch, and still sluggish even once it is launched. Leopard improves this, as will CrossOver 7.0, but it's still not great.

The problem is that the way Steam is programmed happens to hit weaknesses in the architecture of Wine (the technology within CrossOver), and those Wine weaknesses happen to also hit weaknesses in Mac OS X. 😥

Oh, that's too bad... But I'm relieved I'm not the only one with this problem. It means that it's not my computer's fault 😇

edit

Ken Thomases wrote:

It is a known issue with CrossOver that Steam is very slow to
launch, and still sluggish even once it is launched. Leopard
improves this, as will CrossOver 7.0, but it's still not great.

nice to hear that therell be improvements with v7.0. when can we expect that to be released?

will there also be improvements to the actual game loading times (which are unbearable compared to when in boot camp)? e.g hl2, tf2.

Yes, there will be some improvement in that regard, too.

We don't yet have a release date for CrossOver 7.0.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia2tYeEE3YjNnSjRQY2tlNSIsImdkcHIiOjB9