Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cant buy games in Steam

I've been able to buy games in the past via Steam under Crossover Games, but today it doesn't seem to be working.

The only thing i've changed is installing Flash Player so as to get the little bit on the main page to appear (which i have since uninstalled in case that is causing the problem).

One thing to note is that the Steam main page is appearing as if i was looking at it from another web browser, where as normally it doesn't have the "reasons to get steam" and links bar at the top.

There was an auto-update to the client a couple of days ago if that could of messed it up?

edit - not sure if this will work but heres a pic to show what i mean by appearing like in a separate web browser
Picture link

The "just another reason" ad and links at the top don't normally appear in the Steam interface.

edit - made picture a link, couldn't get it to work otherwise.

Yeah, updates to the Steam client have broken the store. We are working on fixes.

In the meantime, the best workaround that we have at the moment is to install the Windows version of Firefox into the bottle with Steam. Then, use that Firefox to go to http://store.steampowered.com and buy your game in the browser. At the final step, when you confirm that you have Steam already installed, Firefox will pass a steam://... URL to Steam, and the purchase and download will complete.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ah at least i know it isn't something i did wrong :)

I might give the work around a shot if i need to.

There was a Steam client update yesterday, but despite my hopes the problem still persists.

Yeah. It's not a bug in the Steam client, it's a change they made to the HTML of the store. It uses JavaScript and pop-up windows where it didn't used to, and our HTML engine doesn't cope with that properly.

I don't expect them to change back since the change was deliberate on their part (although I don't believe that the breakage under CrossOver was). We'll just have to fix our HTML engine.

Quick heads-up: I've just posted a short howto after buying the "HL2: Episode Pack" on Steam on OSX.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaFl2Y0FRNTN4cTlrWXpIcyIsImdkcHIiOjB9