Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam on Mac

Hi,

I installed steam using the crossover installer but when I try to run steam I get an error with Steam.dll. I found and downloaded this file from the internet and put it in my windows/system folder. After this I now get an error in SteamUI.dll. So I also found and downloaded this. I still get an error even with this dll in place. Can anyone help me?

Jamie

Strange. I have never seen this error. How about you delete that bottle and re-install steam from scratch. Also, make sure you are installing Steam into a fresh bottle, i.e. nothing else installed in it.

Sounds to me like the install was corrupt, or there is some other path issue going on.

I did as you said, deleted both the bottle and the steam installer and downloaded it again. Same problem I'm afraid.

Well, you have stumped me. I don't know what could cause this. Either your CrossOver install is corrupt, or something else in your OS X is messing things up for CrossOver. Are you running a beta version of OS X 10.5?

No, I'm running 10.4.9 with all the latest updates on a Core Duo Macbook with 1Gig of RAM. I'll try reinstalling crossover.

Still getting the same error. This time it got as far as bringing up a screen that looked like steam saying updating steam but then the error appeared.

This seems like something you'll need to take to our ticket system to get properly diagnosed. We'll need whatever is written to console.log and we may ask for a debug log, too.

i have the same issue, i copied steam.dll and steamui.dll to the directory and now i get error
"steam.exe (main exception): Unable to start steame engine: *steamstartengine(0x34e824) failed with error 201: cannot perform this operation while offline"

I am however able to connect to internet through internet explorer

thanks for any help

james

I'm getting the same error. I've tried using Crossover 6 and CrossOver games 7 and I get the same error everytime.

I'm getting the same errors as well, and if I try to simply run steam from a good, known working install in bootcamp (via normal crossover), it complains that Steam cannot connect to the network. It works perfectly on bootcamp, however.

Image of the error: http://img.skitch.com/20080819-gq7baeb449w8kmkx3kbsmp6u2t.jpg
Note that this is from a fresh install of crossover Games.

Peter, are you able to write to the boot camp partition? Windows uses NTFS by default I think, and as far as I know MacOS cannot write to NTFS.

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZHBnSFliSkNHUGh6QmhwQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9