Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Another Instance of steam is already running during updating of steam

Looks like I have fallen under the typical problem when installing steam.

Steam starts updating up to 28/29% and than tells me that another instance of steam is already running.

Latest crossover office install.

Any idea?

Sorry, no ideas.
Just want to add me to your question. ie. Ive got the same problem.
Steam icon on desktop doesn't work so I use the icon /.cxoffice...../steam.exe instead.
The program updates to approx 25% when the sign
"Steam is already running. You may only run one copy of steam at a time."
I cannot se any other steam processes being running...

This is a timing bug that happens from time to time on Linux. It usually goes away after a few attempts, or a restart of CrossOver.

Another thing you can do is to issue this command (assuming you installed steam into a bottle named "steam", change it if you named your bottle something else):

chattr +D ~/.cxoffice/steam/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/

This tells the Linux kernel that changes should be immediately written to disk for this dir. Normally it caches writes. This caching causes issues with the Steam updater. Note, your filesystem needs to be ext2 or ext3 for this to work.

Hi,

I'm getting this too. I've tried several times and tried the above command, but it still happens... anything else I can do?

Thanks.

I am unable to run Steam, because this timing bug catches me every time--even after multiple attempts and a restart.

The write-through workaround didn't help, probably because my "c" disk is reiserfs ☹️

chattr +D ~/.cxoffice/<bottle name>/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/
chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on Steam/

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUFlRWjNSdVpiVXY3dE1SeCIsImdkcHIiOjB9