Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can't type in text boxes

I saw your video posted all over the internet late last week comparing Team Fortress 2 being played on CrossOver, Parallels, and VMware and was very impressed. Because I've been wanting to play TF2 since I saw the trailers but being too lazy to install Boot Camp (my hard drive is too small to fit comfortably), it piqued my curiosity and I decided to give it a shot.

I downloaded the CrossOver demo to see how my MacBook Pro would run TF2 before purchasing your software. Since all I care about is TF2 and it's not released yet, I downloaded the Half-Life 2 demo through Steam to get an idea of how well it might play.

I'm running on a first gen MacBook Pro: 1.83GHz Core Duo (not a Core 2), 2GB RAM, Radeon X1600, OS X 10.4.10.

I installed CrossOver and then installed Steam through the CrossOver Software Installer (which is amazing, by the way -- it must've taken a lot of time just to build the installer let alone the rest of CrossOver). Steam and the Half-Life 2 demo are the only software installed in this bottle. If I manage my bottles and view the software installed I see the following: CrossOver HTML engine, Half-Life 2: Demo, Steam, and Core Fonts.

The issue I've noticed so far is I'm unable to type in any of the text boxes that appear in the embedded IE in Steam (Store, Community, etc). When I click on a text box I get no cursor and see no text. For example, I cannot type in the search box in the Store or Community tabs. This issue only appears to affect the text typed in the embedded IE and not those that appear through the rest of the app. If I open the Steam settings I'm able to type in the text boxes that appear there no problem.

Along with typing text into the box, I've also tried pasting text into the input box every way I can think of: keyboard shortcuts, program menu, and context menu all to no avail.

It's all quite frustrating, but not necessarily a deal breaker. My biggest priority is obviously how well TF2 plays.

On an unrelated note, when I launch the Half-Life 2 demo all I get is a white screen with some audio -- presumably the intro. I've Googled for a solution and all I found is someone saying that this happens during the intro but he didn't say how to get past it. I've clicked and mashed the keyboard but nothing seems to get me past it. Out of desperation I hit command + option + esc which apparently force quit CrossOver.

Is this just something I have to sit through the first time and it won't play again?

Thank you in advance for you help.

Apparently patience is a virtue. If I load Half-Life 2 and wait a while, it loads fine and seems to play well (with the exception of longer than usual load times).

So you can ignore the last part about the white screen, but my main issue is still valid.

Can you type in non-website textboxes, like the login dialog or the game startup options(right click on a game->preferences->set command line options)? I guess at least the login works, otherwise you'd never see the main window.

I can confirm that entering text into the HTML text input fields does not work for me either. I don't know of any workaround. I'll enter a bug into our bug tracker. Thanks for letting us know.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRm1DSjh4TEJBOENMNktFUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9