Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

In-game chat

I've heard that pressing shift+tab is supposed to bring up an in-game chat/friends list. However pressing shift+tab does nothing for me in either Portal or TF2. Is this a bug, or does shift+tab just not work when you're running the game in windowed mode, or am I doing something wrong?

Well, the Shift-Tab thing is something you have to enable in Steam's settings. That said, I haven't tested it. Please give it a try and let us know what you find.

In the Steam settings I have the shift+tab turned on. It doesn't work. I also tried changing it to various other keys and key combinations but none of them worked. I tested in Portal, HL2, and TF2.

I can confirm this doesn't work for me in exactly the same way Brian described.

My guess is that Steam is registering a global hot-key for this feature. Wine does not yet support global hot-keys, so this won't work in CrossOver. 😥

Not only does Shift+Tab not work, but if a friend messages you it doesn't pop up the little message in-game like it should. I've seen in youtube videos where a box at the bottom right appears when your friends change status or send you a message. Would that also be caused by the global hotkey problem, or is it possibly something different?

That seems different. I don't know what would cause that. We'll have to investigate. I'll enter a bug in our bug tracker.

I've used Steam for quiet a long time on a Windows machine, and now it's kinda stupid that I allways have to exit the Game to chat with my Steam friends (I am on a MAc now).
I would be extremely thrilled if you could fix this issue. (I own Crossover Games)
Anyway, you're doing an awesome job - Keep on the good work!

See Stefan's post in this thread for the proper explanation and status: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name?app_id=3379;forum=1;msg=27088

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWmFzR3J4azJNcXQzM1BhTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9