Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How to remove steam installed by crossover?

I purchased RUSE of gamersgate.com. It said that game was mac compatible
(I run MAC lion)

To download the game downloader which runs through crossover. The game downloads just fine.
Then it runs the installer. It appears that it installed steam. I already have a working mac native steam. The game didnt work which is something im have to deal with gamersgate with.

But the problem is that now my mac steam does not work either. I just keep saying its logging me in and then crashes. Although I tried to deletet the crossover application and reinstall steam many times still does not work. Its like it place some files somewhere that messes up steam.

So now i cannot access any steam.

Does anyone know how to delete ALL data installed my crossover?

thanks in advance

[EDIT: These instructions are only to fix Mac Steam. You will lose any installed games.]
Try this in Terminal:
sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/
Your Steam.app will NOT disappear, but it should be restored to it's default state.

Emil Elgaar wrote:

I purchased RUSE of gamersgate.com. It said that game was mac
compatible
(I run MAC lion)

To download the game downloader which runs through crossover. The
game downloads just fine.
Then it runs the installer. It appears that it installed steam. I
already have a working mac native steam. The game didnt work which
is something im have to deal with gamersgate with.

But the problem is that now my mac steam does not work either. I
just keep saying its logging me in and then crashes. Although I
tried to deletet the crossover application and reinstall steam many
times still does not work. Its like it place some files somewhere
that messes up steam.

So now i cannot access any steam.

Does anyone know how to delete ALL data installed my crossover?

thanks in advance

Hi..

...actually, you've probably misread the GamersGate specs on the game...

"OS: OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, or later."

,,,misleading for sure, but that means 10.5.8 & 10.6.3/4/5/6/7 ..but NOT 10.7.x (Lion)...

..another thing about GamersGate...when you see this ;

"Note: This product requires a 3rd party download and account"

...that means it's going to install Steam, and obviously you need a Steam account
to do that. I came across the very same thing a week or so ago, but, on my linux
box (and I don't use the Mac steam client on my iMac), and it totally botched the
Steam install (not gamersgate fault, it would've worked fine on a real windows box),
and I actually wondered at that time what would fly apart in OSX with the Mac native
steam client installed under like circumstances ..ie; I could see the potential for
problems to arise, based on my experience in linux ; looks like I was right =)...

...just FYI as it were... oh, and Nolan's advice will not answer your question, which
was "How to remove steam installed by crossover?" ...to do that, start crossover
(games), Crossover menu -> Configure -> Manage Bottles ...you can delete the crossover
installed Steam bottle from there....

Cheers!

My instructions were to remove the Mac Steam files to fix Mac steam. Sorry for the confusion!
In any case, I can't imagine why PC Steam would interfere with Mac Steam unless you tried to login from both at the same time/concurrently. Steam's DRM will not let you do this.

Nolan Taeksang Yoo wrote:

[EDIT: These instructions are only to fix Mac Steam. You will lose
any installed games.]
Try this in Terminal:
sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/
Your Steam.app will NOT disappear, but it should be restored to it's
default state.

Thank you so much for that reply! It fixed my steam issue. Now i can at least use my mac steam again.

Don

Thanks for the clarification.

Gamers gate selling steam games. How retarded! I tried to buy it off steam but there was some problem. Not sure if its because im located in China just now.

Im really unhappy with the extremely misleading marketing. Its like writing Windows XP or later
But does not run on Windows 7 :-X

Thanks once again!

cheers

Hi..

...actually, you've probably misread the GamersGate specs on the game...

"OS: OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, or later."

,,,misleading for sure, but that means 10.5.8 & 10.6.3/4/5/6/7 ..but NOT 10.7.x (Lion)...

..another thing about GamersGate...when you see this ;

"Note: This product requires a 3rd party download and account"

...that means it's going to install Steam, and obviously you need a Steam account
to do that. I came across the very same thing a week or so ago, but, on my linux
box (and I don't use the Mac steam client on my iMac), and it totally botched the
Steam install (not gamersgate fault, it would've worked fine on a real windows box),
and I actually wondered at that time what would fly apart in OSX with the Mac native
steam client installed under like circumstances ..ie; I could see the potential for
problems to arise, based on my experience in linux ; looks like I was right =)...

...just FYI as it were... oh, and Nolan's advice will not answer your question, which
was "How to remove steam installed by crossover?" ...to do that, start crossover
(games), Crossover menu -> Configure -> Manage Bottles ...you can delete the crossover
installed Steam bottle from there....

Cheers!

To just finish this off:

I took the product key from the gamers gate and used it to activate my game on steam.
Steam is strange, they want to sell the game for $10 (it was on sale), and at the same time they give others the right to sell the game for $9, but its also a steam game.

Still dont know if it will run on Mac OS lion.

Yeah, I really don't trust Steam resellers too much. There's more rumors flying around than I can shake a fist at. And I box.

On a side note, I haven't tried the Mac version of RUSE, although I have purchased it. The only Ubisoft Native game I've ever had trouble with on Lion was Assassin's Creed II, and even then, the occasional red flashes in characters didn't bother me too much. Tom Clancy's SCC and Brotherhood both worked for me.

Emil Elgaar wrote:

To just finish this off:

I took the product key from the gamers gate and used it to activate
my game on steam.
Steam is strange, they want to sell the game for $10 (it was on
sale), and at the same time they give others the right to sell the
game for $9, but its also a steam game.

Still dont know if it will run on Mac OS lion.

...well, the concept is not 'retarded' as you put it...unless of
course you think being able to buy the game cheaper from another
distributor is retarded ... haha =)

..I don't know what distribution/marketing arrangements computer
games distributors exercise, but, your observation is correct ;
some days it's better to buy direct from Steam -- other days it's
cheaper to buy the license from someone like gamersgate (technically,
as you've discovered, that's what you're purchasing in this case ;
a license for the steam release)... but, this is why I buy from
multiple distributors ; you can find the 'nicest price' if you hunt
around a bit...

...ftr, that MacOS compatibility speel is the original notification
that came out (but this was before 10.7 was released), and the wording
didn't mislead me ; Leopard 10.5.8 and Snow Leopard 10.6.3 or greater ;
no mention of Lion or 10.7 (-that- would look like this... "Leopard 10.5.8,
Snow Leopard 10.6.3 or greater, Lion 10.7.0 or greater" it's a more or
less standard way of presenting that information, but,I can see the 'or
greater' business could be misconstrued as Lion as well (seeing as it's
greater than Snow Leopard =)...

Cheers!

Help?

After working perfectly at school Steam is not once again stuck on the login screen. It just opens, checks for updates, and then stuck on the login.

When i oped it one time there was a brief flash of one the icon that come up when you one an .exe program on mac. I suspect its the ghost of the windows steam coming back to haunt my mac!

Do I have any options except for running the script once again?

I ran the script for lack of better options. All downloaded game seems to have vanished (again so no big loss)

does the script delete all data or just makes Steam think the data is gone?

can I find it somewhere on HD?

thanks a lot

Hi....

...with respect, this forum is not for the Mac Steam client, but for
the Windows Steam client running under crossover. If you are having issues
with the Mac client, please go to the Steam forum(s) dedicated to such...

Cheers!

ah sorry about that. Im just pretty sure that some files left over from the crossover installation is the cause.

Im also new to mac, so i dont know if there is such a thing as "write to registry database" which will remain efter after deleting.

when the bottles goes everything goes?

...negative ; as Nolan mentioned above, it seems unlikely that the 2
client versions would 'collide' with each other functionally ; that
said, I can imagine menu items becoming confused, or, game runtime
files kept in your home directory could collide with each other, but
these things have nothing to do with Steam as such....

...if, right, the RUSE installer tried to 'over-install' your Mac
Steam client installation with another, that may certainly break
things...but again, that has nothing to do with this forum...

if you removed (deleted) the Steam bottle from the Bottle Manager,
it's gone and could not (afaik) be causing anymore problems... and
that would leave you with the Mac client being the problem...

Cheers!

thanks for your help!

1 to 15 of 15

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUXZzZWdYMlMydnQ5dTd3TCIsImdkcHIiOjB9