Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Steam via Crossover vs. Linux Beta
I am new to Crossover Linux. Is it necessary to install the steam client via crossover for game installations to work, or would the native Linux beta perform as well or better? Currently I am dual-booting Fedora 17 and Sabayon 11, (Crossover is installed on the Sabayon partition). Thanks in advance for any information.

-VW

Hi,

The Linux version of Steam will show you your non-Linux games but won't let you install them.

With Crossover you can install the Windows version of Steam, which will allow you in turn to install Windows versions of the software you have in your Library.

So, to answer your questions:

Yes, it is necessary to install Windows Steam if you want Windows games.

Also, I believe the native Linux Steam will perform Steam operations as well or better than Windows-Steam-through-Crossover. By "Steam operations" I mean chatting, navigating the Store and Forums, making purchases, etc.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidEt3cnQ5S3lTenNiV2VoViIsImdkcHIiOjB9