Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Windows Steam via Crossover OS X)

I have installed this game via Windows Steam through Crossover on my MacBook Pro, running OS X 10.8. However, when I try and launch the game I get stuck at the first-time setup window where Steam wants to install DirectX. It will sit with a spinning wheel (Steam dialog box, not OS X beach ball) for a while and it kind of stutters every now and then like it's actually doing something, then the wheel disappears and it sits there forever. Any pointers? It's nice to see Steam support for OS X is increasing, but there's still a lot of older games that I'd like to play on my Mac.

After a couple additional tries, I got it working but there was no keyboard input and mouse input was crazy--both over-sensitive and laggy, to the point where I couldn't even click the "Quit" button--so I had to force quit.

However, version 13 seems to have improved it to the point where I can actually run the game, though performance is a little less than I would expect of a 6 year-old game. I guess I'll have to tweak performance settings and see if it's playable.

Stefan (staff) in another threat suggested to remove C:\windows\system32\xinput_*.dll in order to get rid of the install directx check when launching a game. Make it runs a little quicker.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWUNmckVBbjN3YlVSUVVzeCIsImdkcHIiOjB9