Steam Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

"Steam needs to be online to update" message

I'm a new crossover user on the 14 day trial. I'm on an old MacBook running OS 11.7.4.

I just installed Steam on the default Windows 7 bottle using Crossover's installer. However, every time I try to launch it it looks for updates and gives me the message "Steam needs to be online to update-chetck your internet connection." There are no problems with my internet connection. I've simulated a reboot and restarted Crossover, but I get the same message every time.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Hi there,

Local network settings can sometimes cause network connections with CrossOver. I'd try connecting with a different network.

Best,
Meredith

I'm at home. I don't have any other networks to try. It worked just fine downloading the required files, so I'm not sure if it's a local network issue.

Hi again,

Maybe try a mobile hot spot to confirm if it's a network issue? It can still be a network issue if file downloads are working.

Best,
Meredith

I managed to find a fix. For reference, I'm in China and using Astrill VPN. I turned it off and had the same problem. I was using their Openweb protocol. I changed that to the StealthVPN protocol and that worked. Steam's currently downloading its updates, although very slowly. That's better than "not at all," so I consider it a win.

Meredith Johnson wrote:

Hi there,

Local network settings can sometimes cause network connections with CrossOver. I'd try connecting with a different network.

Best,
Meredith

I also get this message with 23.0.0.36325. Would be great to get clarity on what the network settings are.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTU1BemRRUEY0OTJMbVl0diIsImdkcHIiOjB9